Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 61 390 in my Galaxie, and I'm looking for a new camshaft. The car is all stock (it has a manual transmission if that matters). I am not having much luck locating a replacement cam for it being that the 58-62's have the spring retained cam, not the thrust plate style. I would like a stock or equivalent camshaft that would allow me to use the stock valve springs, rockers, lifters, and push rods. I just want to replace the cam. I wouldn't mind if the cam had a little more pep either, but I want a fairly smooth idle still. I don't know anything about FE engines, and I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right direction! Any help/advice is appreciated! I don't know what the stock specs on the cam are, even if I had the numbers, I don't have a great understanding of what the numbers mean. I took the engine apart to replace the lifters after having some lifter ticking. Looking at the cam, it is worn and has pits on it. The time chain is also loose.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you have the engine all apart have the block converted for a later style cam and timing gear. Then you can use any cam.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
New cam needs new lifters as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a lot of searching, I did find that Melling sells a direct replacement for the early FE blocks. I bought one and it looks identical to my stock one. I have the engine back together for the most part. I had some bent push rods when I checked them. So now I am waiting on the new ones. My car also doesn't appear to have had the right pushrods in it. They were ball style, but the ball ends were not larger than the shaft size. I bought replacement ones the same length as I took out. I put a new timing chain in, rescaled the intake along with every gasket on the engine. I also put a new oil pump in it. Hopefully it will start up and run nice a quiet now once I put the engine back in! I did put new lifters in also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts