Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have come across a set of factory cast iron headers for a '61 390. (So he says)... he said they are 390 cuin/ 406 hp cast iron headers... Never knew a header to have an HP rating but please clue me in if I am wrong.

ANYWAY.. How much are they really worth and are they any good?

I am looking at some Crites, but have heard numerous concerns and complaints as to leaks.

I am also considering making my own. I am not sure I have the time to do all of the fitting work with my work schedule right now.

Looking for your experienced thoughts....

Tommy

·
Registered
645 Posts
A few years back, you used to be able to get them for $500 all day long, but for about the last year, everyone is asking $700 to $800 for them. I don't know if they are getting that much, but that is what they are asking. I have a friend who is looking for a pair and is holding out for $500.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The cast iron "shorties" came on the 60-63 352-390-406 Hipo and P code engines, as well as the 64 P code. They are a great alternative to long tube headers, and the best part is they dont leak! If they are installed correctly and the exhaust side of the heads has been surfaced they are extremely reliable.

Price wise, it just depends on how bad you want them. I've seen them sell for over $1000 on eBay, but thats not the norm. $500-700 is more common.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
pop's performance use to repop them.... but they are no longer around...
and no one is making them anymore that i know of....

so you can expect prices to go up on a good used set...
especially original cast....

·
Registered
622 Posts
I may have come across a set of factory cast iron headers for a '61 390. (So he says)... he said they are 390 cuin/ 406 hp cast iron headers... Never knew a header to have an HP rating but please clue me in if I am wrong.

ANYWAY.. How much are they really worth and are they any good?

I am looking at some Crites, but have heard numerous concerns and complaints as to leaks.

I am also considering making my own. I am not sure I have the time to do all of the fitting work with my work schedule right now.

Looking for your experienced thoughts....

Tommy
why dont you get a set of Hooker Super Comp headers? I used them when i used to have a 390FE. never had a problem with them

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Be sure to match Casting I.D. Nos. (and date codes).

1961 390HP will have C1AE casting no.

If you are going to purchase ($$$) a set, make sure they are correct and matching.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Both Shorty and Long Cast headers are being made by China now. You can buy them brand new somewhere...
I haven't seen any new pieces being sold since Pop's went out of business. I know he was selling the shorty version, and he talked about the long tubes but never got them done.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Aaaaahhhhh,,,, Start something good then go out of business. Sad.
From what I've read he's lucky he didn't end up in a ditch somewhere....he took alot of money and parts from alot of people. I think there was a divorce involved, and everything went downhill from there.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
why dont you get a set of Hooker Super Comp headers? I used them when i used to have a 390FE. never had a problem with them
I am kind of curious as to clearance issues on my '67 and the brake lines/hardware and steering gear box coming close as well as overall clearance under the car. I figured if I can pick these up for a reasonably fair price, then they'd be a solid fix to all clearance concerns.

KULTULZ said:
Be sure to match Casting I.D. Nos. (and date codes).

1961 390HP will have C1AE casting no.

If you are going to purchase ($$$) a set, make sure they are correct and matching.
KULTULZ - Thank you for that information. I like to make informed decisions. :)

Tommy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts