Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am going to be picking up my new car tomorrow, it is a 1961 Falcon. I am going to start with upgrading the suspension and brakes, but then I want to put in a SBF and I have no idea which one to use. My buddies want to see a 302 go in it, and they will be helping so I must take their opinion into consideration, but I honestly want to throw a stroker in it. The thing is this is going to be a budget build but I want to do everything right. I was also considering using either a c6 or t56 and I would like some input on which tranny to use as well.

This is going to be a weekend strip and road course car with some highway driving and street driving so it must be able to compete while still maintaining road capabilities...and if it helps I am in Iowa which means that the law doesn't really have anything to say about what I put in it.

So again, which engine and tranny should I use in my 1961 Ford Falcon restomod

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
302 c4 is a good combo for the little Falcon, use a 8,8 from an Explorer and have it narrowed by Quick Performance in Ames.

It's not to hard to make a 400hp 302 or a c4 live with it and the Explorer 8.8 can be found with 3.73s or 4.10s and track lock for $150.00.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I would start with a 302, get things sorted out, and swap to your stroker later. I guess it depends on your budget too. For a transmission it's hard to beat a t5, or a t5z. If you plan on driving it hard, something like an Astro or G-force t5 will last longer. A t56 will require cutting out the entire trans tunnel, since it's not big enough. Even the c6 will be tight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also new to this forum and falcons well ford, I'm performing this upgrade have the 302 and nice zspec t-5 but what frame and engine mounts do I use

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jd1973, it's not nice to hijack someones thread.

The OP mentioned budget build. Which is exactly what I'm just getting rolling on.

IIRC, a 302 with headers will fit in between the strut towers, tight, but fits.

Check out Crites. They offer a number of options for our 1st gens. Be it strut their strut tower mod, their headers, etc..

And, I'm pretty sure you can stroke that 302 to a 347, which is a big motor for a small, light car.

Just remember that EVERYTHING behind the motor needs some attention.

A World Class T5 will handle most of what a 347 can throw at it. Driveline needs beefed too.

And +1 for the Exploder rear. You will need to narrow it. Mind the gears though. I don't think 1st gear will do much for you if the ratio is too low behind a T5 or T56..

And brakes. The stock brakes aren't meant to handle a swap like what you are talking about. Or the sway bars. There are a number of options. Personally, I will probably skip all the spindle swaps and get a Scarebird kit, which uses modern rotors, and calipers.

Have fun, take pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts