Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone, I am a proud owner of a 61 Falcon Futura. Now I have been thrown into a world of engine swap, rear end swap, & transmissions. I would really appreciate any tips from any round bottom falcon owner who has faced the i6 to V8 swap. If there is anyone with the ins' and outs' of this project here I am with open ears.

Here are a few pictures of my 61:

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
When I first joined this site, I began by reading all the forums just to gather information. It took awhile but, I found most of the answers before having to ask the questions. Not all but, most.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
1: Your pictures are missing

2: There is PLENTY of info here for the asking and for the searching.

3: Welcome to Ford Muscle Forums, the coolest website on the planet.

Ditto.

And FE how many times per DAY does this question get asked?

Yes Welcome to FMF.... The answers are here.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
No.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the transmission is OEM. I got a 2.4l 144 l6. I got it to run but the fuel pump and the alternator gave out after about 40 min running. I haven't got it to start back since, and not sure I want to buy the fuel pump and the alternator for the L6 when my plans are to drop the 302 in it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's an expensive fuel pump too. They were about $80 the last time I replaced one. In 61 they used vacuum operated windshield wipers. The fuel pump had a vacuum booster for the wipers built in to the top of it. You'll want to convert to electric wipers, unless you're keeping it all original, which obviously you're not.

The stock trans for that car — if it's an automatic — is the Ford-o-matic 2 speed. You'll want to change that too. And if you're doing that, well, this guy could use your torque converter cover. :p

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Welcome aboard! As the folks have already said there is tons of Q & A on this very topic here so I would search it out. Everything from cooling options to rearend swaps and everything in between, including suspension and brakes.

If you don't find what what you're looking for (I doubt it) just ask and you'll get lots of answers, some may even be correct! ;)

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback! I am pretty excited to own and restore my first classic. Can anyone give me a round about estimate on a restore? Since I'll am starting with body work, can anyone share what is a fair price for this service?

One a side not I am a graphic and web design by trade. I am playing around with some digital designs of my falcon. Noting like painting and putting on rims on my car without spending a dime. Let me know what you think about the paint color.

Orange Idea:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! I am pretty excited to own and restore my first classic. Can anyone give me a round about estimate on a restore? Since I'll am starting with body work, can anyone share what is a fair price for this service?
FE would be a good person to ask, BUT an estimate on an unseen car is impossible, and without very DETAILED clear pictures can not be fairly claimed. Find a shop that is fair with the hourly rates, then get the estimate from THEM. FE is very reasonable with his rates and somewhat flexible but he could tell you if you were being had, it all depends on condition of car AND owner.;)
One a side not I am a graphic and web design by trade. I am playing around with some digital designs of my falcon. Noting like painting and putting on rims on my car without spending a dime. Let me know what you think about the paint color.

Orange Idea:
No pic of any kind, lots of different oranges out there, and even oranges are different colors of orange..... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know why me picture aren't showing up?

ANY WAY......

I going to pick up my 302 Friday. The gentleman I am buying from also has a couple of rear ends he wants me to take a look at.

One 9" rear with positive traction off an full size f-150, and

a 8.8 rear end off of an Explorer.

I like the idea of positive traction, but I know that it would require modification for sure.

I guess what I really want to know is if anyone has used a Explorer 8.8 rear end on a round body falcon?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
FYI, still no pics that I see. I know I am old but jeeze didnt think i was blind too....:rolleyes:

Need to 'link' pics from a 'hosting' site. ie photobucket, flickr, etc....then when you want pic to show hit the mountain envelope looking thingy at top of posting box and insert the url of the pic

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Bodyshop rates are around $65 per hour average on the West Coast unless you're in California.
You should go to an independent shop their rates will be better.

If you don't put up a picture of your car or a LINK to a picture I'm going to stare believing that you are only in my imagination. :)

Futuraman, your rig is Gorgeous! Glad she got fixed after that idiot ran the stop sign several years back!

·
Registered
274 Posts
FE I had almost forgotten about that incident. It did force me to get rid of all the rust and do the paint and body work on her though. Here's a pic of the 347.

Dropping a small block V8 in a Falcon is not difficult. Aftermarket motor mount brackets are available from places like Falcon Parts. If you plan on going with a C4 auto you may have some issues with the trans tunnel clearance. Nothing a little massaging with a BF hammer can't take care of though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Great looking ride there futuraman.....

FE I think he's real, I answered a PM from him, but the car on other hand.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
DAAAMMMMNNNNN Pics.... I knew I wasnt losing it.... Liking the second 'rendering' more than the first. The "orange" just aint doin it for ME but it is YOUR car. Grabber Colors look good on those cars also...

Ok now WHAT was the question?? ;)

Decent looking falcon tho.... (the real pics)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts