Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been picking up parts for my 1961 Sunliner projects for awhile but I've found it hard to find 1961 interior parts despite the commonality with 1960-1962 in so many ways.

Does anyone know where to pick up upholstery and other interior detail/soft parts for 1961? The only place I've found that can provide door panels or seat covers, for example, is SMS and that can take up to a year. Although I respect the reputation that SMS has, it just seems like there should be more options considering I can find reproduction 62-64 stuff in every Ford catalog warehouse. In most respects these later panels and upholstery are minor variations on the same theme, so the lack of 61 versions baffles me. They sold 349K galaxies in 1961 for goodness sake.

In particular I have an baked AZ car [blue/blue (H 92) Sunliner] and so I need driver grade parts to replace everything that can't be repainted. That means seat covers, sunvisors, door panels, rear quarter trim, etc. This is a "take the kids to get icecream car," not a show car so I'm not feeling the need to go SMS full custom on this. Ideas?

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
find a local upholstery shop. easy if you don't need origional appearance. sun visors might be a problem if they are anything like 63s. post some pics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always welcome ideas. Thank you.

Distinctive Industries makes a 62 blue vinyl set that is very similar but of course not correct. That's probably the easiest solution for a new set if similar is okay. I would just need to adjust my tolerance for every Ford person explaining that those are 62 panels and seat covers in my 61. I guess I'm hoping for a used or inexpensive but correct option. I guess a quote for a basic custom solution wouldn't hurt. I should see if anyone has a solid reference for a shop in SE Michigan. I'm typically a do it all myself kind of person so I do not have personal experience outsourcing this.

The sunvisors are curved foam with vinyl bonded covers like on a Edsel or TBird convertible. They are not as contoured as 63 appearing more rectangular. I sent a set to Just Dashes for them to possibly replicate and they declined to quote them. Again, the 63 are available and would likely fit but of course are clearly not the right ones. I occasionally see the padded sedan versions come up for sale which lack the curve in the body to arch up along the windshield header, They otherwise look correct as long as you don't have the top down.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts