Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals. I have a question to put to you all. My daughter has a 1961 Galaxie - 352, 3-speed overdrive, manual steering - that we are having a devil of a time trying to get to steer correctly. The only thing that we haven't done is replace the center link. The pitman arm end of the center link has some play in it and I can't find anyone who can tell me if the rebuild kits for these center links will fix the pitman arm end. I've already replaced the idler arm bushings.

The car has been to the front end shop and supposedly put the tires in a straight line. But, when you drive it, the tires squeal and leave a set of double black marks on the road. It jumps all over the road when you go over a bump and you have to fight it to keep it in your lane.

Has anyone any info on doing a donor swap to a later model suspension and steering? I've been looking on the forums and see where the '03 and up Crown Vics will donor to trucks, but what about the cars?? Any help would be appreciated. Don't limit me to only the CVs. If there are other donors that can be used, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Maybe you have to replace suspension bushings and not just steering parts? Are the tie rods on the proper side of the spindle, top or bottom? I believe you can introduce bump steer if you get the tie rods on wrong.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I've had it to a good shop for alignment. They would surely have caught that. Which is right - top or bottom?
:eek:

The car has been to the front end shop and supposedly put the tires in a straight line. But, when you drive it, the tires squeal and leave a set of double black marks on the road. It jumps all over the road when you go over a bump and you have to fight it to keep it in your lane.
Listen. That front end is fairly simple. Obviously the shop you took it to did not perform the job correctly.There has to be a repair shop in your area that has a clue.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

Listen. That front end is fairly simple. Obviously the shop you took it to did not perform the job correctly.There has to be a repair shop in your area that has a clue.
Klutz, I agree with you on the shop not performing the work correct .
now the but , any good shop wouldn't align a car with worn steering parts. steering box not included in alignment.

OP , with black tracks from your fron tires , toe in or out must be way off

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Klutz, I agree with you

on the shop not performing the work correct .

now the but , any good shop wouldn't align a car with worn steering parts. steering box not included in alignment.

OP , with black tracks from your fron tires , toe in must be way off
Correct. The key word(s) being good and knowledgeable. They had to road test the car after it came off the rack (I would think).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts