Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to this site and hoping to get a little help. I have a 1962 Galaxie 500XL and I need new front springs, does anyone have the measurement from center spindle to the wheel well lip on a stock height suspension, my car is lowered and I do not know how low.
Thanks...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The correct stock height for the 62 galaxie with a 7.5 x 14 tire size is 27.12 inches.This is the distance measured from the ground to the bottom of the front fender wheel opening directly above the front tire. Depending on the tire sizes this changes this number abit ,but the range should be within the 26.82 to 27.77 range.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
The correct stock height for the 62 galaxie with a 7.5 x 14 tire size is 27.12 inches.This is the distance measured from the ground to the bottom of the front fender wheel opening directly above the front tire. Depending on the tire sizes this changes this number abit ,but the range should be within the 26.82 to 27.77 range.
Do you have that info for other years, like the 1965? Or possibly do you have a more generally applicable measurement, like from the ground to the frame?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Do you have that info for other years, like the 1965? Or possibly do you have a more generally applicable measurement, like from the ground to the frame?
I know that when I ran around Knott's last year with a measuring tape looking for '63-64s with the 'proper stance' I wanted for my wagon, what I came up with was 8in from the front crossmember to the ground.

The '60-62 front crossmember is different and I ended up with different measurements on those cars, not directly compatible, and certainly that measurement isn't going to be right for the later cars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My '62 used to sit at 25 1/4" with the old coil springs, but right now sits at 26 1/2" from ground to center of front wheel opening after installing new front coil springs and pads from Dearborn. This is still shy of the correct measurement. This still sits too low for my tastes.

I have not yet added the AC compressor and the rest of that mess.

What can I do to further raise this car up one inch in height in the front end? Are there front air shocks, or lift shocks that would do this?

The car has stock rear springs, and cooper radial tires.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts