Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to improving my stereo. I love music and want a good "cruising around with the top down" system, but also want to keep things looking classic and not cutting into the dash or doors.

First, I replaced the dash speaker with 2 JL Audio 3.5" speakers. Using the old fiberboard speaker mount as a template, I fabricated a new stiffer one out of some plywood I had around. That sounded pretty good, but not great.

For the kickpanels, I picked up a set of the ABS speaker mount panels from Dearborn, dyed them with red spray paint and a layer of polyurethane, and installed JL Audio 5.25" speakers. I think they turned out pretty good. I'm tempted to spray the grills red or white also, but it's fine for now.

This weekend I'm going to install the kick panels and a JL 600w 6-channel amp and see how it sounds. I'm also going to take a closer look at the panels below the back seats and maybe install 6x9" speakers there. Anyone else ever put speakers there?

For the head unit, I'm going to use an FM/AUX conversion of the stock unit, but I'm having some trouble with it at the moment, so for now, I'll run the amp straight off an ipod nano with a remote (like this one: iJet iNAV Boss V2).

Hope to have it all sounding good for next weekends trip to Cruisin' Ocean City MD!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of multi-channel amplifiers let you set the crossover frequencies. I'm using the JL Audio xd600/6 - it's not cheap, but the street price is a lot lower than list if you shop around or ebay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just poking around, and wondering how this turned out. And also, if you put any 6x9 speakers in the rear of the car. We're doing a 62 Mercury Monterey, and starting to think about a stereo.
Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanx...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Selash recently put some 6x9's in the panel under the rear seat in his 63.5. He has some good photos of the install, so maybe he will chime in for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up not putting the 6x9s in the back foot panels - I decided it was too much work for not much value added, particularly in a convertible.

I've installed my rebuilt radio from Tayman, and am working on trying to find a subwoofer enclosure that will fit in the rear side of the trunk (I like my luggage space).

·
Registered
925 Posts
My 61 Sunliner had speakers under the rear seat. they drilled a bunch of holes in the seat riser and mounted them to it. It had a nifty reverb unit under the dash and a 45 rpm record player. Serious tunes for the day.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts