Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
just purchased this 63 1/2 galaxie 500. Has a worn out 289 with an automatic trans. I believe a C4. I have access to a fresh 351 cleaveland from a 70's ford. I know there are other things that need changed to do this swap. One thing I was told is the bell housing and the motor mounts. What bell housing is needed and where do I purchase ? Same question with the mounts and any other items that someone know I may need. Thank all in advance

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
161 Posts
Hello
just purchased this 63 1/2 galaxie 500. Has a worn out 289 with an automatic trans. I believe a C4. I have access to a fresh 351 cleaveland from a 70's ford. I know there are other things that need changed to do this swap. One thing I was told is the bell housing and the motor mounts. What bell housing is needed and where do I purchase ? Same question with the mounts and any other items that someone know I may need. Thank all in advance
Based on a quick inquiry, your Bell housing for a 351C is the same as a 289/302. So unless the bolt pattern is different on the older C$ bell housing, you should bolt right up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on a quick inquiry, your Bell housing for a 351C is the same as a 289/302. So unless the bolt pattern is different on the older C$ bell housing, you should bolt right up.
Hello
What I am told and seem to find on the internet for what it is worth is the bell housing changed in 1965. Different pattern and I believe 1 more bolt. No one can give me a real firm answer. I was told that the cleaveland motor mount were also different from a 289 or a 351 windsor. Seems this car has a lot of areas where parts are not inter- changable. I like the 351 cleaveland and my C4 trans is in great shape. Not sure what to do. Thanks You for the reply

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
161 Posts
Hello
As far as motor mounts, you should also be good with what you have. From the HAMB:

221, 260, 289, 302 are all the same basic block. Everything on these engines interchanges with each other. (some minor differences with late-model 302 & balancing - 28oz vs 50oz)

351W is a unique block. Everything interchanges with above except crank (bigger journals), pushrods, & intake. It is considered same family as above.

351C is a unique block. Nothing directly interchanges with any of the above engines except flywheels. Heads can be bolted on, but there are water passages that need to be changed.

All of the above (221-351C/W) use the same engine mounts & same bellhousing, so save for front engine dress & exhaust, will bolt in where any of the others were. To answer the original question, for the purposes of engine mounts, the 351C is a SBF.

Go to tech archive - Fat Hack wrote up a good article on SBF a long time ago - some good info in there.

351M/400 share a unique block, but nothing interchanges with above (except heads w/351C, but why would you?). 351M is NOT a 400 with a 351W crank - physically larger crank snout - you CAN turn down a 400 crank to fit into a 351W block, however. They are not quite SBF & not quite BBF either - they are 335-series which shares bellhousings & engine mounts with 429/460 385-series (Lima) engines.

The confusion lies with 351W, 351C, 351M - the only thing they share is displacement...welcome to the wacky world of Ford interchange!
;)

As for SBF vs BBF - it's generally accepted among Ford-O-philes that 221-351W & 351C are SBF, while all FE (352-428) & Lima (429-460) are BBF. The 351M/400 are orphans...

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
161 Posts
Hello
What I am told and seem to find on the internet for what it is worth is the bell housing changed in 1965. Different pattern and I believe 1 more bolt. No one can give me a real firm answer. I was told that the cleaveland motor mount were also different from a 289 or a 351 windsor. Seems this car has a lot of areas where parts are not inter- changable. I like the 351 cleaveland and my C4 trans is in great shape. Not sure what to do. Thanks You for the reply
You are correct, the older blocks do have a different bolt configuration. But all you have to do is get a C4 Bell housing in a new configuration, that can probably be found at a junkyard. In doing some searching, the C4 came out in 1964. Are you sure the engine in that 1963 has a C4 bolted to it? I have a 1963 Galaxie, but the engine is actually a 302 from 1970, the original motor was probably swapped out years ago. So you may not have to do anything. I would pull the motor and tranny, and then measure up the bolt patterns before dropping $$ on anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought the c4 came out in 64. May e 63.5 could have had them? Best bet is to do what 5785 said. Start measuring and know for sure what you have. That include making sure the 351 is a Cleveland and not a modified.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts