Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can anyone guide me with converting generator to alternator setup.
Do not know enough about the Ford cars. Hoping someone may have done this already.
Would appreciate any help with this.
Thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Can anyone guide me with converting generator to alternator setup.
Do not know enough about the Ford cars. Hoping someone may have done this already.
Would appreciate any help with this.
Thx
I used a Powermaster alternator for the change. It looks identical to a factory generator and is a 100 amp output. It is also available as a one wire (gen. light will not work) or a 2 wire (second wire is for the gen light).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Did it back in 2016 with a 100 amp 1-wire alternator from tuffstuff and new bracket from carcrap. Both are linked under

My 63.5 Galaxie has a 390 from a 67 Mustang, its not sure the linked bracket fits your car. You can eventually look at www.carcrap.com or other places to be sure that the bracket you prefer fits your engine

The wiring is not difficult. I dont recall the details now, but I can find some stuff through the weekend if needed. So far the generator warning light stays on, but it may be possible to connect the wire from the "extra" connector on the rear side on the alternator to the original "fat" yellow wire to get the warning light to work

Theoretically the generator regulator can be removed after an alternator conversion, but i havent done it yet

·
Registered
751 Posts
There's lotsa ways to do it, as you're seeing ..... I redid my '64 Gal some 6-7 yrs ago and used the Galaxie Club's site as a guide. I found hi-mount brackets on ebay, went with a plain-jane 60a alternator, and that little solid state regulator. I was able to leave my gen's regulator there --as a 'buss bar', but you can easily eliminate it as well. I don't have any high amp draw options in my car, so this worked out great for all I needed. :)

Gal Club link: http://www.galaxieclub.com/11-87YHuj65MNjhMnI4/pg12.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the same parts as 1976kjell on my 64. Easy swap, and works great.

BC
Can anyone give me a detailed wiring example for this swap? I have a Tuff Stuff 100 amp alternator bought. This one has to have an external Voltage regulator. I might exchange for one with an internal VR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts