Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 390 galaxie with a leaking fuel pump, strange thing is it leaks on and off. It isn't coming from the fuel cap gasket(that has been changed), but from what appears to maybe a seal bw the value housing and fuel pump body. Can this be replace or is it easier just to replace the fuel pump? And second question why would it happen then stop?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I have a 63 390 galaxie with a leaking fuel pump, strange thing is it leaks on and off. It isn't coming from the fuel cap gasket(that has been changed), but from what appears to maybe a seal bw the value housing and fuel pump body. Can this be replace or is it easier just to replace the fuel pump? And second question why would it happen then stop?
Hey Mr. J,
The leak between the Fuel Pump and the Mounting Flange has a Gasket that can leak. If it is intermittent, it is possible that the gasoline that is getting above the Diaphragm in the Fuel Pump is going into the Crank Case.

While it used to be that the Fuel Pump was rebuildable, it is not so today.

A word of caution... Ms. American had a blown Fuel Pump. A NEW NAPA Fuel Pump was put on. The Fuel Pump is supposed to put out 5.5 PSI. The NEW Pump put on Ms. American turned out to be putting out almost 10 PSI. It is called an "over aggressive" Pump. It blew past the Needles&Seat in the Autolite 4100 Carburetor and started a fire in the Engine Compartment.

The fire was extinguished with a dry powder Fire extinguisher. The entire Engine Compartment had to be taken apart and cleaned. The Fire Extinguisher stuff is very corrosive.

So AFTER installing the Fuel Pump, and BEFORE trying to start the Engine, check the Fuel Pressure it is putting out.

JC

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So where do you recommend buying fuel pump from. I see them and places like Mac auto, dearborn etc... Or I can order one from my local auto parts store (advance or O'Reilly ) does it make a difference? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
So where do you recommend buying fuel pump from. I see them and places like Mac auto, dearborn etc... Or I can order one from my local auto parts store (advance or O'Reilly ) does it make a difference? Thanks everyone.
Hey Jacob,
Ms. American's Fuel Pump came from NAPA.

You might also consider getting a Fuel Pressure Regulator. Ms. American got one and it seems to be inexpensive insurance against an overly aggressive Fuel Pump.

JC

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, fuel pump changed I was lucky local parts store had the one I needed. Problem solved. Also think the pump was the orginal style, so it could of been rebuilt. Any way, quick fix, plus it solved my problem with hesitation on take off. Thanks for y'all help, Jacob

·
Registered
504 Posts
So AFTER installing the Fuel Pump, and BEFORE trying to start the Engine, check the Fuel Pressure it is putting out.

JC
What is the correct and simplest way to check the fuel pressure on a 390?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts