Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a 1963.5 Ford Galaxie 500XL with a 289. The car has been gone through very well. There is a draw on the battery (bad battery or engine ground), and most recently the engine stalled while driving (accelerating from a stop). It didn't sputter, but just killed. The engine ground looks ok, but.... Where should I look??

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
If it only happened once maybe it was that 2 pound key ring turning the ignition off.
If it happens several times - car completely dies - then I would start looking around the distributor and the coil for loose connections and frayed wires.
If it went dead and is still dead, well, that would be another thing.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My original '64 would do that - running, then, motor was dead - stopped running, not stalled just immediately off. It would start right back up. It turned out the condenser bracket was broken - almost impossible to see. Hit a bump or accelerate hard - whoops, off goes the motor. Took me two months to find the problem, but, only after I changed out the points and condenser - yep, then I saw the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
like others said...
look in distributor .... as vac advance plate moves , bad/frayed wire loose contact or shorts out....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts