Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took out old rear package tray on the gal and was going to replace with some Masonite that I have cut to match the old one. Was wondering what people are doing as far as speakers for a clean OEM look..
Was going to do the one in the center with a Dearborn Classics grate over it. And am thinking it needs to be under the fiber board?? Do I do a cut out of speaker and drop it in the Masonite and then put screen over it? Any and all ideas welcomed... thanks in advance for help

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you are the only one that can answer that. It's just a matter of taste. I personally like stereo and after cutting and replacing my rear shelf out of Masonite, I put small two-way old-school box speakers in the corner like I had in high school on my first Galaxie. They are hooked to the in-dash AM/FM/8-track, going through a small under-dash Spark-O-Matic graphic equalizer. So maybe I'm not the best to be giving advice. :)

I would think whatever 6x9 you get, it would come with a template and instructions for mounting. I think it's usually grill, speaker, Masonite, and U-shaped nuts that slide on the Masonite with the screws going through.

Pat

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back at me.. I kind of like the way the one that was in there looked with the 2-6x9”s in the corners..
Not sure what to do?? Any pics?? I like a visual of what you’re working with... like the idea of someone looking through glass and can’t tell that it’s not oem... also don’t care if they look and say huh, Nice 6x9”s in-the back glass... or what Evs?
Also was just gonna flat black krylon and primer combo rattle can.. anyone vinyl theirs? I’ve heard it can cause a sticky residue on glass baking in sun.. that’s what was on there and all crusty and rolled up which is why I’m thinking paint... again any pics helps... thanks again

·
Registered
530 Posts
Speakers should be mounted solidly to the metal so they don’t rattle.
Drill 1/8” holes in a 6X9 oval pattern above each speaker (tedious work) in the Masonite or cut 6X9 holes and use grills.
Put some kind of padding on the underside of the Masonite so it doesn’t rattle.
Paint or vinyl your choice.
paint would be easier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
quick question - I have a 63.5, I pulled out my rear parcel shelf when dismantling it all - and I don't remember anything under the metal parcel tray - should there be some sort of fibre board under it to absorb the noise/rattling/heat etc?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
On mine there is only a piece of painted board for the shelf, no speakers. There is a gap of about 3/4" between that and the seat, which I once tried to cover with a piece of spare 4-way stretch vinyl glued to the board. That kind of vinyl does not glue so I still have the gap.

For sound I have 3 speakers in front and a 10" sub in the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts