Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently my 1963 sits very low in the rear end on air adjustable shocks. I have added air to raise it, but after a few days the air leaks out and it's sitting low again. i havent really spent much time looking for a leak, and will probably just changed them out. What type of shocks do you guys use and where do you purchase them from?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did you install the air shocks or did they come on the car?

The reason I'm asking is if they were on the car when you bought it, they may have been put on the car to make up for another problem.
My 63 Fastback sat low when I bought it. Crawled underneath and found 3 busted spring leaves.

I picked up a set of shocks at NAPA, not air shocks, (sorry). Of all the shocks I found they had the lowest price.

I took the springs to a spring shop for comparison and had them make two new sets for me.
The car has a great stance now on regular shocks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The were on the car, leaf springs appear ok. I do not want the air shocks back on. Wanna go with aftermarket ones. Rock Auto has the Gyb Gr2, which is the same ones listed at dear borne classics, are these any good?

·
Registered
419 Posts
You'll need to have the springs rebuilt or replaced. It is very common for the springs to sag after 50 years. Solve the spring problem and then add some quality shocks and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced the front and rears on mine this past year and what a difference it made on the way it handles, I also added the bar on the front A arms...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you think if I just add new shock I will still sit low. Need to go ahead and repair or replace springs also?

·
Registered
30 Posts
So you think if I just add new shock I will still sit low. Need to go ahead and repair or replace springs also?
my cousin has a 64 that was sagging on the back he added the spring helper shocks and it leveled the car nicely, I didn't want to put all the extra pressure on the shock mounts so I replaced the springs,

·
Registered
419 Posts
Shocks are not intended to support the weight of the car, but help control the movement. If you put new shocks on without addressing the spring problem then it will sit at the same height it does now without air in the shocks.

Generally the springs need an extra leaf added into them to help compensate for the fatigued material. If you can find a spring shop in your area that can handle that them that is your best option. If not, new springs from Eaton Spring are great. The less desirable alternative would be helper springs that clamp to the springs, but they can cause other problems and I'm not a fan.

BTW, I own a spring company so I've done this a few times.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I replaced mine wioth a shock/coil set up so long ago that I can't even guess when.

Brought the rear end up a bit over "level", and still rides great.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I replaced my regular shocks with air shocks this last summer. My cars sat about right empty but with that huge trunk it can sag alot when loaded. When I took my road trip to Colorado a couple of years ago it was a tail dragger with all the luggage.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts