Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I blew up my tranny in the 63 marauder. Purchased a correct bell housing c6 with the round case to mate to my original 390 and had it redone. I'm getting a brand new converter when I'm ready however my question is this...do I need a new different flywheel? Pretty sure my old starter won't work and I need a different one bit what one? Anyone know what I need to purchase and from what year or have old stuff they wanna sell. I'm sure this has been done several times on here. Car is a 63 marauder 2 door fastback same as a 500xl. Another thing I've always wondered: why is it that its always guests viewing these threads not members? Why don't people just sign up its free?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Use a flywheel and starter (tell the parts store guy) from a 72 Ford F-250 with a 390 and a C-6. You can use your old block plate and inspection cover. All bolt on. You will have to get a different driveshaft yoke 31 spline. Driveshaft is the correct length. The trans crossmember will have to move back about 3". Anything else ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a flywheel and starter (tell the parts store guy) from a 72 Ford F-250 with a 390 and a C-6. You can use your old block plate and inspection cover. All bolt on. You will have to get a different driveshaft yoke 31 spline. Driveshaft is the correct length. The trans crossmember will have to move back about 3". Anything else ask.
All ready got the yoke situation handled. Just needed to know if I was correct in assuming my old flywheel and starter wouldn't work

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another thing I've always wondered: why is it that its always guests viewing these threads not members? Why don't people just sign up its free?
Here's a few reasons I can think of...

1. A lot of members just check in to see if anything new of interest has been posted. They will show up as guests if they don't sign in. I
2. I've also noticed if I sign in and don't do anything, it will sign you out very quickly, once again I would show up as a guest if that happens.
3. Then there's the group that is just looking to see what goes on before signing up. I know I was cruising for a few months before I signed up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here is a few pics on my build and how i done.
As you can see its tight.
And make sure you got the short yoke to tranny i belive there is 2 diffrent
and its tight to get driveshaft on even now with the short yoke.
But thats mayby because i have a convertible not sure if frame is diffrent.
And i dident change anything on Engine starter and flywheel are same as before.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Listner: Some one had to change the starter and flywheel as a 63 starter won't fit a C-6 as the drive is too long. Unless some one cut a hole in the C-6 bellhousing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reply about the 72 flywheel and starter seems to make the most sense to me. Pretty sure my c6 torque converter won't work with the com so it makes sense the original flywheel and starter won't either.....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well i dont know if someone Before changed them ?
But i had a crusematic in car before the C6 and i used same flywheel and starter to the C6.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way i see it is. Flywheel is 38 bucks and a later model starter I all ready have and can get rebuilt for 50 bucks by a awesome starter guy. So either way I'll buy the flywheel if I don't work or is not needed I'll take it back

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an FYI you will also need the bell housing bolts from the c6 or cut your origanl bolts about 3/8 shorter except for the bottom 2

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK quick recap of the conversion progress. Starter definatly has to be changed. The Bendix on the original is way longer than the c6. 1972 f250 starter worked perfect. Flywheel I'm thinking may have worked but I changed it anyways to the f250. Bell housing bolts had to be cut as they were to long. As for the post about using the 13 inch tailpiece for the clearance and space....not as big a deal compared to the fact that the 17 inch version has an entirely different cross member mount. They are angled versus flat like the cruise o. I am now fabricating flat bar and angling it to mate with my original mount. Do not ever use anything except the short tailpiece as it just makes another thing to fab up. Now I have to move the frame mounts as well as make the piece for the tranny. Also the parking brake is now gone due to the clearence and need to fab the mounts so i had to cut the bracket off. I could buy another tailpiece and output shaft but then I'd have to pull the tranny starter and tear down my new tranny again to change the output shaft. I've decided to make my own mount. All in all this jobs been a pain in the ass lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts