Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at 60-63 Falcons, and I've noticed some of the 2drs have a more upright rear window (with the rear side windows being more of a trapeziod shape) where others have a more laid-down rear window (with the rear side windows being triangular). What was the determining factor on which Falcons have which windows?

Example 1, more upright rear window:

Example 2, more laid back rear window:

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
First picture is a 60 or 61. They all had the rounded roof line and bubble glass in the back.

Second picture is a 63. In 62 they went with a sharper roof line in the back and much flatter rear window, and moreso for the coupe.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First picture is a 60 or 61. They all had the rounded roof line and bubble glass in the back.

Second picture is a 63. In 62 they went with a sharper roof line in the back and much flatter rear window, and moreso for the coupe.
Ok, so sounds like there was no coupe in 60-61, and in 62 they changed the roof for the sedan and also introduced the coupe, which had the even sporty-er rear window? So in total three rear window/roof lines, 60-61, then 62-63 sedan and 62-63 coupe?

·
Registered
634 Posts
63-64-65 Futura hardtop,not coupe, have the same roof line and back glass. Used on the comet hard top too. A coupe and sedans have a post where the hard top has none. The Futura hard top has doors like a convert along with a front wind shield which is different than a sedan . The roof line is about 2 inches lower with the windshield leaning back more than a sedan.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Can you recommend any Falcon sites that might have information like this as 'common knowledge' like an FAQ, history of, or the likes?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

The FALCON shown above is actually a 63 1/2. It was released along with the 63 1/2 GALAXIE which featured the return of the FASTBACK for NASCAR. The S-22 COMET (along with full size MERC) also received the new roof line (SPORTS HDTP).

·
Registered
2 Posts
is there a difference in the height of the side windows between a 1963 convertible futura and a hard top i ask because i was going to buy a convertible but the side widows were a quater inch below the top frame rail of the top.i was told the windows might of been changed and replaced with a hard top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts