Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I just picked up a '63 Falcon with a 200 CI inline six and a 4 speed manual transmission. The first thing that needs attention is the shift linkage. It's very sloppy and needs to be tightened up. Does anyone know of a source for the linkage bushings?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford Restoration Parts - Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie, or Mercury Comet - Ford Parts or www.falconinterprises.com are a couple .
You may need the springs and buttons in the lower base of the shifter too if it has the ford original one on it. I have one of those 4 speeds too and redone all of the shifter a few years back. I'm planing on selling it and the 200 pretty soon as i don't need it .
Thanks! I tried both, and neither place lists them on their site, although Dearborn does sell the entire shifter assembly.

1963 Ford Falcon 62/64 SHIFTER ASSEMBLY (W/O ARM) FOR T10- Dearborn Classics

I'll try calling both places to find out if they sell a rebuild kit or individual parts.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks! I tried both, and neither place lists them on their site, although Dearborn does sell the entire shifter assembly.

I'll try calling both places to find out if they sell a rebuild kit or individual parts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay,here's another one i ran on to yesterday . www.classicautopartsonlinecatalog.com - Obsolete Auto Parts.

I have not had time to go though it much,but it looked like they had a lot of stuff. You can probably make other bushings work they were all about the same back then for fords. Good luck.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Deathwagon: I found the shifter anti-rattle kit at "www.falconinterprises.com "

It has the springs and cups along with some gromments. The early ones like mine and maybe yours never used the gromments.
" SKU:C5ZZ-7208-A" they were $13.95
I saw the 2 bolts that hold the shifter down but they may have been on the "Obsolete Auto Parts " site.
I'l keep looking for the other parts and post them if I find them.
I'm retired and this will give me some thing to do. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
To "Deathwagon" Okay I found a "Shifting linkage repair kit.
At "www.classicautoparts.com"

OEM#C5ZZ-7285-RPK2 Kit

Stock # Po7-12725-005

Page 60

$17.95.

Take a look at it , they say it's for all 4 speeds in the early years.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
To "Deathwagon" Okay I found a "Shifting linkage repair kit.
At "www.classicautoparts.com"

OEM#C5ZZ-7285-RPK2 Kit

Stock # Po7-12725-005

Page 60

$17.95.

Take a look at it , they say it's for all 4 speeds in the early years.

Good luck:)
That kit is the 3 studs, washer and spring washers and clips for the 3 shift rods. They are not truelly bushings as such. Available from most mustang vendors as well. i.e.
STUD SET SHIFT ROD MOUNTING SHIFT LINKAGE TO SHIFT ROD INCLUDES 3 EACH OF STUDS | 7353-1K | NPD

They won't completely eliminate wear in the shift levers but may help.
R

·
Registered
634 Posts
He has not said what shifter he has. If he has the Dagenham 4/speed with the original ford shifter on it i can look at mine and see how they are made. The 6 cy came with that transmission back then. but if somebody has put in a late 200 and the bigger transmission then things could be different. He may even have an after market shifter , maybe he will give a little more information.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you both for the replies. I'm actually looking for a rebuild kit for the shift assembly, not the studs and washers for where the linkage arms bolt to the T10 trans. Sorry for the confusion and incorrect terminology; I'm a motorcycle guy venturing into this car thing :)

I'm just going to fork over the cash for the complete new assembly from Dearborn, since mine is in pretty bad shape:

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks you both for the replies. I'm actually looking for a rebuild kit for the shift assembly, not the studs and washers for where the linkage arms bolt to the T10 trans. Sorry for the confusion and incorrect terminology; I'm a motorcycle guy venturing into this car thing :)

I'm just going to fork over the cash for the complete new assembly from Dearborn, since mine is in pretty bad shape:

Thanks again fellas.
Do you have a borg warner t-10 ? or the dagenham that came in the 6/cy cars ? I have one of each and they use different linkages but the shifter may be the same using the ford shifter. My B W T-10 has the hurst shifter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like I may have the Dagenham, not the T-10 that came with the 8 cylinder models, so that Dearborn replacement shifter assembly won't work. I've been trying to identify the trans based on the stamped numbers (E02DD-7222), but that's been a wild goose chase so far. The original motor in my car was replaced with a 1981 I6, possibly a Thunderbird, so I'm not sure if the transmission is even original. The shifter sure looks like OEM Falcon gear. I think I may take the shifter assembly to a transmission shop to see if they can come up with replacement parts for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well this is getting interesting. Based on the data on the door tag, it would seem this car originally came with a 260 V8, so it should have the T-10 transmission unless someone swapped that out when they installed the '81 inline 6. Can anyone ID this transmission based on this photo?

Thanks so much for your help. I have a lot to learn about this old girl!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well this is getting interesting. Based on the data on the door tag, it would seem this car originally came with a 260 V8, so it should have the T-10 transmission unless someone swapped that out when they installed the '81 inline 6. Can anyone ID this transmission based on this photo?

Thanks so much for your help. I have a lot to learn about this old girl!

That's the Dagenham trany, it's identical to the one i have, to bad. You don't want to even try to put a V/8 in front of it , not going to hold up.
That engine , being a 81 , probable has the dual housing bolt pattern i told you about in the P M i sent you. They just chose the small one for the Dagenham.

Well if you have to start looking for another 4/speed , i believe you would like the ford top loader over the T-10.

I believe the Dagenham came out in the inline 6 cars in 63 and was used in 64 ,65. Mine is a 64 but the build date is september of 63 and i bought it new in may of 64 with the 170 / dagenham 4/speed.
They used the same trany in their vans too at that time with a 4 on the tree column shifter. Used in a few mustangs too ,early models.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, dangit. I was hoping to be able to use a Hurst, but since they didn't make one compatible with the Dagenham and nobody seems to make a replacement for the stock shifter assembly that will work with Dagenham, it looks like I'll just have to refurbish the original unit and live with the rediculously long throw.

Thanks so much 24 Futura, you've been a big help.

·
Registered
634 Posts
T-10 made for falcon / comet 63 /64 , they went to top loader in 65 , but it has the shifter location close to the main case the same as the T-10

This T-10 has the dual bolt mounting pattern so it may have came out in the later part of 64. The earlier ones only had the inside one and the ford top loader in 65 could have came with the dual pattern or just the wide one. The made clutch housings the same way back then in the change over years.

The 4th picture is a top loader overdrive trany. I just put it in to show you what a top loader looks like. There are some differences not , important now unless you decide to go with a top loader, then we can point them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, dangit. I was hoping to be able to use a Hurst, but since they didn't make one compatible with the Dagenham and nobody seems to make a replacement for the stock shifter assembly that will work with Dagenham, it looks like I'll just have to refurbish the original unit and live with the rediculously long throw.

Thanks so much 24 Futura, you've been a big help.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That new replacement shifter may still work for you. It looks like it comes with out the handle or shift linkages which you might have to redo . If the arms on the shifter are the same size it may work. I believe they used the same mounting bolt holes on the ford units. If the arms are shorter or longer it will change the distance the shift lever moves.
I looked at the shifter on mine and to redo most of it with out taking the shifter completely apart , you would need the parts i listed and some new parts on the other end of the linkage.
There was at one time some places you could get them rebuilt by trading in your old ones, maybe some body on here can help you on that .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts