Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

First time poster from the UK with a 1963.5 Galaxie 500.

Recently purchased the car and am looking to restore the interior. I could buy a complete interior from the US but the price with shipping and import duty starts to rival having it re-trimmed here. One thing I'm struggling with and no amount of googling seems to help is a source for the door card trims. i.e. the plastic chrome panels and edging strip. All of the repo door cards seem to come with these pieces which leads me to believe they are available. I'm hoping someone on here may be able to point me in the right direction. I've marked up the below picture with the pieces I mean:

Here's the car in question.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other question too! I currently have no interior lights, are all three lights supposed to be activated by the door switches? I.e. the two b pillar lamps and the under dash lamp. Or is the under dash lamp a driving light when the headlights are on? Are the door switches a switched earth or a switched live? Thanks! Adam

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Adam,

I believe 1963 and 1964 are the same. On my '64, the three lights come on together, when the door is opened or when the headlight switch is turned all the way one way (left, I think?) until it clicks. Power comes from a 7.5 amp fuse on the fuse box. It's switched live.

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Adam,

I believe 1963 and 1964 are the same. On my '64, the three lights come on together, when the door is opened or when the headlight switch is turned all the way one way (left, I think?) until it clicks. Power comes from a 7.5 amp fuse on the fuse box. It's switched live.

Pat
Thanks Pat, really handy! This car has had a new loom fitted so there's a few anomalies to sort!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Adam, welcome to the world where we try to drive aircraft carriers down country "B" roads and marvel at the fact that in 1963, in the U S, these Galaxies were normal sized cars. Anyway, welcome to the club. You'll probably want to get as much technical data as you can stand, and here are the names and e-mail addresses of some reputable Galaxie parts suppliers. I like having catalogs, but unfortunately, the trend is away from them and toward the net. cgfordparts.com are in California and have been around a long time and do parts for lots of old Fords besides Galaxies and Mustangs. MacsAutoParts.com was in New York, but have been swallowing up lots of parts businesses, both Chevy and Ford. They still do mail catalogs with one just for '60 - '72 Full size Fords (Galaxies). autokrafters.com are in Virginia and also still have a Full-Size Ford catalog going. Dennis-Carpenter.com is in North Carolina. My last catalog from them was in 2015. This will help you get started finding parts. On the door cards, if the plastic (mylar) came on the panel originally, it'll be on one you order now. The stainless steel bits are going to have to be sourced from used parts found at the breaker's yard. The piece behind the armrest might be available now. I have a friend who has some extra bits, maybe he'd give them up. Anyway, welcome to our world.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have attached three pages from the Mac's catalog that will address your first question. On page 5 under Door Panels, the "chrome mylar strapping and insert" (as they call it) is included on the panel when you order it. On page 18, where the Armrests are, under 1963-64 Deluxe Armrests at the very end it says, "Does not include the stainless steel band. Pad only." From your picture it looks like the band is present, so all you have to do is very carefully remove it from your old pad, give it a freshen up, and install it on your new pad. Returning to page 4, you can see on the bottom right there are some Lower Door Panel Retainers you might want to get if yours are trashed or are missing (and if you're like me, I almost overlooked them). The Aluminium Door Panel Inserts go on the XL door panels, not yours, but are an example of parts that weren't available new not too many years ago, but have now been reproduced. So there's hope. And you're lucky to have a 63.5 because it is one of the most popular Galaxies and therefore more parts are available for it than some others. Lastly, disregard the comment in the post above about "the piece behind the armrest . . ." I was not looking in the catalogue at the time I wrote that and was not thinking correctly. What kind of drivetrain is in your car? I see by the "chicken" on the front wing that the lump is a 390 or better unless someone has been mucking about. Anyway, I hope your new toy does not cause you too much aggro and you have fun with it.
Scan.jpeg
Scan 4.jpeg
Scan 2.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for the reply, that is some useful information I can go digging for! I'll have a look around for the Mylar inserts as I'm planning to have the car trimmed here, the costs are comparable after you consider all of the shipping and import duty I'd have to pay.

I adore the car already, its a total contrast to most things on the road here. It is a 390 car, with a Ford 9" rear axle, double pumper holley carb and a Thumpr cam, I needs a tune but does get down the road pretty well.

Plans for the car are currently to get the interior really well sorted and leave the sun-bleached patina look on the outside, later down the line I may opt to put a 4 link rear in the car and play with the rear ride height as the raked stance doesn't really work for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats on your car - I bought a 63.5 from Florida a few years back and had it shipping into Australia.
In Oz we have a few companies that carry some parts (the likes of brake cylinders, ball-joints etc) which makes it easier to work on them. My advice is (after buying a "restored car" that wasn't really) assume very little authentic work has actually been done, so plan on replacing everything that moves (ball-joints, UCA pivot shafts, tie-rod ends, brake cylinders etc) so that you 'know' what's done and not done.
Then start on the interior. One good thing about the repro trim packages is that they arrive and look good and fit reasonably well, although your experience may vary....
Where are you in the UK? I lived there for about 14 years back in the 80/90's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts