Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the top fails to operate....either up or down, is there a way to operate it manually? I don't have this problem now but would like to know what to do if it failed to go up or down. Thanks again yall. BamaBrown.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never had to do it, but I think you could just disconnect the hydraulic lines (put a few towels around the pump to catch the fluid) and then raise the top manually. The frame is pretty heavy, so you may want to have a person on each side to help raise it and lower it.
Let us know what happens if you try it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ranbush, The black 64 in your reply is lookin good. If I ever learn how to post pics I'll send some. I have a 64 hard top and my wife has the 63 convert. Both nice cars. I hope we never have to go manual with the top. I had a 58 MGA which was totally manual and a breeze. I'm about to go into the doors of the convert and replace the division bars and fuzzies. I did it before on the 63 hard top sprint I used to have. Kick my a-- for sellin it but times were tuff back then. Thanks again pard and stay in touch.

·
Registered
378 Posts
...I'm about to go into the doors of the convert and replace the division bars and fuzzies...

How did you secure the window fuzzies? The originals are stapled in and the instructions mention something about drilling holes and matching them to the body. ??!!? Is there an easier way?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey BlueBird, The front fuzzies were pretty much cut and dried. Once the windows were lowered below the door, both inner and outer just snapped in. The front outer fuzzies are approx 1" longer than the inners. I would rather pull my teeth than to go inside the doors, window regulators locking mechanisims etc... !(^#$%#!&Y#@(!*&) Yeah. The rear quarter windows are more complicated on the convertible. Lots of stuff has to come off just to gain access. The rear window outer fuzzies snap in but the inners are stapled. The stuff Macs sent was predrilled to accept 3 staples along with a pack of staples, but you will prolly have trouble aligning the holes to the panel. I think the factory stapled them in until there was no distortion .I had to remove the inner panel and I drilled a few holes in the fuzzie to match the factory holes and used a pair of pliers to bend the staples tight. The inner fuzzie is approx 2" longer than the outer. I wanted to replace the front window division bar fuzzies but didn't want to completely gut the whole door internals. I hope this helps. Stay in touch and let me know your progress. Is your car a convert? I have a 64 hard top and the 63 convert is my wifes. If I knew how to post pics I could send you some, but I aint to savvy on that. Well anyway, the weather is great in south Alabama and we're crusin' the 63 convert alot. I'll look at the hard top and see how they are secured. I imagine with snap clips. BamaBrown.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'll have to check all the strips. The first one I tried to replace (years ago) was stapled and I thought the others would be also so I halted that project. I don't have any tool that would even remotely work. Plus the instructions that came with the fuzzies only addressed re-using the original staples and trying to put the holes in the same place. That's what I get for buying the bargain goods. And yes, my 65 is a convertible. As you might have guessed, looking at my avatar, is that it isn't exactly stock under the hood. Another feature that surprises most knowledgeable Ford people is that the rear window is glass and not the plastic curtain you find on Falcon convertibles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I run into small problems alot when messin around with the old cars. My mind goes nuts thinkin that someone else has already went in to it and made a modification that is not addressed in the shop manual. I understand about the bargain basement stuff too. After market stuff aint very good, even the from the better vendors, and some of the Ford liscensed products aint all that great either. Hang in there and enjoy your 65. Stay in touch and stay safe. BammaBrown

1 - 7 of 7 Posts