Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1963 ford galaxie 500xl with a factory 390 4speed in the floor. I drove the car awhile before a lifter stuck and bent a pushrod. I just put all new push rods and lifter in the car and now the car won’t start. It fires when you turn the key on and when you turn the key off, but will not fire while cranking. Really needing some help because I replaced the ignition coil but it’s still the same.

·
Registered
63 convertable
767 Posts
check the "s" terminal on the sarter relay on the fender. thats where the power to the coil comes from when cranking

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the same issue this week with my 64' 390. I had the distributor 180 out of phase. Start back at the basics with TDC, remount your distributor and check voltage to your coil. If you are running points I highly recommend you spend the $80 and get the pertronix. I did it and it does make a difference. Since you are in there anyway I thought I would throw that out there. Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Tries to start when you release the key does sound like an ignition issue. To check your relay, clip a wire from the positive battery terminal all the way to the +coil. Now you're sure it's getting power. Then try to start it. If that works the starter solenoid should be replaced.

When you are finished with this experiment remove the wire.

On the other hand, if it was working fine before you removed the distributor and now it doesn't work, probably you put the distributor back in wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Check what extech told you. The coil gets power from the S terminal during crank, you release the key, it gets a quick shot of 12V but usually not enough to get it running and carry through. Maybe you knocked it off or leaned on a wire.

Putts recommendation will work to fire it, but it doesn't tell you what is wrong, look over at the solenoid, could be as easy as a wire hanging there

Reactions: Mercury4me

·
Registered
1964 Ford Custom 500 2dr sedan
40 Posts
If it is the ignition switch and it fires in on you should be able to push start it. Put in second gear and hold the clutch in. Get a couple of friends and push it until you reach 5 to 10 mph (or you can roll it down a hill) At that point give it a little gas and quickly let off the clutch. The momentum of the car and rotational energy of the drivetrain will turn over the engine and start it. Once it starts immediately hit the clutch or it will stall. If it starts then your ignition switch is bad or wired incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
If tat doesn't work get your friends to push it back up the hill..;)

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Here is an amazing schematic nu puttster of how the starter relay / solenoid works.

Solenoid.jpg

·
Registered
446 Posts
If tat doesn't work get your friends to push it back up the hill..;)

Maybe I have a weird sense of humor but I thought that was kinda funny!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts