Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info regarding the compressed and extended lengths for stock rear galaxie shocks.

My car currently has Gabriel Hijacker air shocks and they appear to be around 17" compressed and 23" extended, which is way longer compared to QA1 stocker series shocks (11.69" compressed and 17" extended).

Something isn't adding up and I'm wondering if maybe the leaf springs are worn out or modified and the air shocks were used to raise the rear accordingly, I bought the car this way so it's anyone's guess. The wheels are 15" but that's the only other difference I have spotted so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still hoping to find this info, can anyone help?

I'm looking for info regarding the compressed and extended lengths for stock rear galaxie shocks.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm still hoping to find this info, can anyone help?

Thanks
OK. I recently installed new extra heavy duty coil over rear shocks on my 63 Gal. The old stock fitting shocks were still almost new so I kept them in my shop. When I get a bit of time soon I will go out there, find them, and give you a picture and both measurements.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank you!

OK. I recently installed new extra heavy duty coil over rear shocks on my 63 Gal. The old stock fitting shocks were still almost new so I kept them in my shop. When I get a bit of time soon I will go out there, find them, and give you a picture and both measurements.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure exactly how you wanted it measured. The shock long picture is 18 7/8 inches from the center of the top mounting hole to the bottom of the shock where the top washer would push up against. ------ The shock short picture (I had to tape the shock closed because it wanted to immediately open again so I could not take a picture) 11 5/8 from the same points.

Let me know before I put them away if you need another type of measurement.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would say you have the wrong shocks . with those shocks the rear of the car should be about 7" higher then stock with out any air in them.
The photos are with these old shocks on. Before the new shocks. Your call. These are not air shocks, there is no air in them.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
The photos are with these old shocks on. Before the new shocks. Your call. These are not air shocks, there is no air in them.
The first undercarriage picture with the old shocks. ----- The second picture with the new coil over extra heavy duty. Again, your call.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know if you are interested in the right shocks for your Galaxie but I ordered a set of front and rear gas shocks from Buds Classic cars. He had these specially made just for the 63-64 Galaxies and they ARE the proper length. Mine are one the car so can't tell you the lengths.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is what I found when looking for rear shocks for my 64 Galaxie. Not real sure if it is perfect but it worked for me. Monroe made 58417 shocks that are discontinued, the specs are, 11.375, 18.125, and 6.750. There is also a company on line that makes shocks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the replies. I'm definitely more confused now. It seems the lengths are all over the map!

Fordwilly, do you have pics of your car with the new shocks installed? The shocks you used look like what I may need. Also, your car looks great!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I'm definitely more confused now. It seems the lengths are all over the map!

Fordwilly, do you have pics of your car with the new shocks installed? The shocks you used look like what I may need. Also, your car looks great!
Yes I have pictures with the new extra heavy duty spring assist shocks. I posted one of them above to you already. Here is some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I was hoping you had a pic of the current stance of your whole car. Does it sit higher or lower now with the new shocks?

Yes I have pictures with the new extra heavy duty spring assist shocks. I posted one of them above to you already. Here is some more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping you had a pic of the current stance of your whole car. Does it sit higher or lower now with the new shocks?
I am planning on taking pictures in a week (August 10) at the Big Bear Lake FUN RUN car show. I will post a new side view for you after that.

FYI ----- The car has the perfect stance IMHO now with these new rear HD spring shocks. It is just a tad higher in the rear than the old picture you saw. Mark at A-1 is great to deal with. He listened and then suggested strongly I go with these EXTRA HD.

1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, Ford, Galaxie, Galaxie 500, Fairlane, Custom, Fairlane 500, Mercury, Edsel, Ranchero, loadleveler shocks

They are custom made at the time of order. He said two weeks to deliver and it was 14 or 15 days till I received them. Not only did they raise just a bit but they firmed up the handling a bit from that "boaty ride" feeling. Love em.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds great fordwilly, thank you for your help with this and I look forward to seeing your pics!
As I promised. Here is the side view August 10 at the Big Bear Lake Fun Run. This as you know is with the extra heavy duty spring assist shocks. 7:30 am in morning before 530 entries arrived. And yes, no trophy. But grandkids got to do the run around our lake after the the show.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome, looks great to me! Thank you for following up with the pic, it was very helpful and I think I'm going to give those spring assist shocks a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts