Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here know what the second pin over on the to does. Mine is broken at the firewall but cut off on the other side of the plug. Also anyone know where the green wire black stripe bottom left goes too it has a plug/female but I can't find if and where it plugs into. It is a alternator cat. I can't get headlights to work or break light. Parking lights and turn signals as well as reverse lights are working. Plug is at firewall by mc

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
I could be wrong but I think one of those in that wire that's been cut off goes to the starter motor relay, the other to the ignition coil. as far as the green/black wire goes check to see if it goes to the brake light switch off the brake line near the master cylinder. If that's wrong let me know I'll dig up a wiring diagram for you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I could be wrong but I think one of those in that wire that's been cut off goes to the starter motor relay, the other to the ignition coil. If that's wrong let me know I'll dig up a wiring diagram for you.
Not sure. Car will crank over run and drive. Just no headlights. No power to the plugs for the headlights either. I'm putting a headlight switch in tomorrow. But I don't think my problem is there as the running lights still work. I believe the wire goes to the positive side of my solenoid. Appears someone cut it off the plug snx ran in direst thru the firewall but why my lights don't work I have no clue

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a 63 and it SHOULD have a generator, and that black wire SHOULD have gone to 3 or 4 terminal voltage regulator.
Not arguing but confused. All my research showed 63.5 mercury marauders to have alternators however 63.5 500's had generators. Again no disrespect.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Never trust a half year model for any degree of accuracy when you hear words like "all had x" or "all had y".....

Anyhow, that wire should still go to the voltage regulator for power distribution I believe.... Not 100% and I cannot find that wire among the corresponding other 3 top wire colors in his diagram in order to follow it...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I traced back the wire. There is a splice that someone did to bypass the broken pin at the firewall . They spliced in a heavy black wire ran it through the fire wall then spliced back in on the other side below the dash to bypass. I still have lights inside and running lights reverse lights and turn signals. Could this spliced wire from there be interrupting my headlights?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And yes it does go to the solenoid battery side. Also I just replaced the headlight switch...no results

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am not too familiar with the Mercury car. But as far as I can tell they are the same. I have a parts interchange manual that shows most of the electrical parts exchange. One of the items that interchange is the alternator. I am fairly certain Ford didn't re-engineer every car in the line in those days. I would be willing the bet the wiring harness would interchange between the Mercury Marauder and the Galaxie, although the manual doesn't list the harness at all. I have used the wiring diagram I posted the other night on many occasions, it has pulled me out of the ringer every time. My Galaxie came with a generator, I have since converted to the alternator although I use the next generation alternator and regulator. Whatever happens, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes a 63 Marauder has an alternator. Mine has one. The wiring diagram is the same as a 1963 Galaxie. 1963 Mercury Marauder 1963 Galaxie 500

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just had a thought: my high beam selector is not making any clicking or feel like it's working could this be causing my headlights to be not on at all?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could that actually cause the problem? I talked to the oo and HD said the headlights worked before I got it. Ive known him for years plus I bought it 3 years ago so he has no reason to lie. I just don't know if a bad high low selector could wipe out both. Doesn't really seem possible however mine isn't clicking so it needs replaced anyways. Still doesn't tell me why no brake lights though.........I'm beginning to dislike this damn car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts