Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have both the 1962 & 1963 Ford Shop manuals, and I can't seem to find any references to draining and changing the oil in the differential. Is this part of routine maintenance? I bought the car 15 years ago, and it have never checked it. It has also never given me any rear differential problems like leans or noise.

thanks

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
It should probably be checked every once in a while. You would check the fluid level at the fill plug. You would notice any leaking during visual inspection of pinion and brakes. If there is fluid leaking out, the level in the diff housing could be low. The diff housing is vented, so there is opportunity for moisture and dirt to enter, especially if the vent tube is damaged, or missing. You could assess the condition of the gear oil by extracting some with a syringe through the fill hole and determine if you want to drain and replace the oil. The gear oil is good for a long time, I'm sure many vehicles never have the gear oil changed.

Reactions: Deckard

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Hey guys, I have both the 1962 & 1963 Ford Shop manuals, and I can't seem to find any references to draining and changing the oil in the differential. Is this part of routine maintenance? I bought the car 15 years ago, and it have never checked it. It has also never given me any rear differential problems like leans or noise.

thanks

It's not part of the maintenance schedule because Ford never expected for an owner to keep a car more than four or five years, and it was rare for a car to obtain 100,000 miles. My 2012 Jeep is the same way- nothing on changing transmission fluid- yet the maintenance schedule goes up to 150k miles.

However if you consult police or taxi duty shop manuals, where these same vehicles are expected to run 250k miles or more, these maintenance items will be scheduled in increments of 50-75k miles. A Haynes manual will also recommend a similar schedule.

It's also a good idea to flush out brake fluid in three year increments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not part of the maintenance schedule because Ford never expected for an owner to keep a car more than four or five years, and it was rare for a car to obtain 100,000 miles. My 2012 Jeep is the same way- nothing on changing transmission fluid- yet the maintenance schedule goes up to 150k miles.
Makes perfect sense; in the owner's manual the warranty is for only one year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Very few rear differentials have drain plugs, even today.

The car manufacturer considered the diff "lubed for life" and thus saved $0.05 per unit by not installing a drain plug.

I installed diff drain plugs on all the vehicles I have owned,
that did not have a rear cover that was easy to remove for draining/inspection.

Most diffs (under "normal" operating conditions) will go the life of the car without needing the fluid changed,
However... as Yadkin pointed out, the car maker never expected the car to last beyond 4-5 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts