Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 63 galaxie w 390, after running for a while temp gauge barely moves off the C. Today I cranked her up place a thermometer in the coolant after 5 mins had a temp of 185. My question is what should I replace first the sending unit or gauge its self. I'm assuming a thermostat is present by of the way it warmed up. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check the sending unit.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It can be knowing the cold/hot values of ohms it creates, but cheap enough to not worry about checking it and just replacing. (Do check gauge first) Ground the send wire should peg gauge to H.... if not check grounds of cluster/gauges. Fuel gauge acting correctly I assume?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes fuel gauge is working correctly. So just just ground the wire coming off of the gauge itself should send it to hot?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes fuel gauge is working correctly. So just just ground the wire coming off of the gauge itself should send it to hot?
The one going to the sender to ground will show hot, yes. if so gauge is ok... fuel gauge being correct verifies the cluster/gauge ground is good... :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So grounded the wire from the temp sending unit and it goes to hot. Tomorrow I will change the sending unit. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
:tup::tup::tup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When installing a new temp sending unit is it necessary to apply any thread seal or loctite to the threads?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
no loctite just a normal thread sealer if its not on the new one already..... Even a small strip of teflon tape....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Got new temp sending unit in, gauge working properly. Engine temp spot on! Thanks everyone.
:tup::tup: Thanks for posting back, and we're glad we could help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts