Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Has the engine been rebuilt recently? Or is it an old tired stock engine?
No rebuild all stock. As far as old n tired it only has 80k on it and never really sat for long periods. I'd feel it is in fair shape. Doesn't smoke or burn oil and starts right up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No rebuild all stock. As far as old n tired it only has 80k on it and never really sat for long periods. I'd feel it is in fair shape. Doesn't smoke or burn oil and starts right up.
80k miles, I would still recommend a full rebuild. Where are you located?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
80k miles, I would still recommend a full rebuild. Where are you located?
Pittsburgh Pa. I don't mind rebuilding it only issue is if I do I'm going stroker but if I do a 445 I'll have to swap the tranny and I'm not sure which tranny to use as well as if it will line up with my center console. My father in law has c4s c6s aods 3 speeds 4 speeds u name it. I just would only want to keep my shifter and center console in the correct location. One kit I found was 2k plus still needed and intake heads and carb. Plus still need a dist. headers etc. I'd like to just start buying everything now then pull the motor in the fall and put it together if I'm going that route.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Pittsburgh Pa. I don't mind rebuilding it only issue is if I do I'm going stroker but if I do a 445 I'll have to swap the tranny and I'm not sure which tranny to use as well as if it will line up with my center console. My father in law has c4s c6s aods 3 speeds 4 speeds u name it. I just would only want to keep my shifter and center console in the correct location. One kit I found was 2k plus still needed and intake heads and carb. Plus still need a dist. headers etc. I'd like to just start buying everything now then pull the motor in the fall and put it together if I'm going that route.
Yeah, it is good to come up with a solid plan and stick to it, otherwise you can end up replacing everything.

If you do decide to change the transmission, the most common choice would be a C6. They fit right where the Cruise-o is now with only a slight modification to the crossmember, and you can still make your factory shifter work. The C6 is a much stronger transmission and if built right can handle just about anything.

But, like I said before, I think the best thing for your goals for the car is just a solid performance rebuild. Have the heads cleaned up, a good performance cam, your 2x4 induction you mentioned, and a set of FPA headers and you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah, it is good to come up with a solid plan and stick to it, otherwise you can end up replacing everything.

If you do decide to change the transmission, the most common choice would be a C6. They fit right where the Cruise-o is now with only a slight modification to the crossmember, and you can still make your factory shifter work. The C6 is a much stronger transmission and if built right can handle just about anything.

But, like I said before, I think the best thing for your goals for the car is just a solid performance rebuild. Have the heads cleaned up, a good performance cam, your 2x4 induction you mentioned, and a set of FPA headers and you'll be very happy.
Yeah after some thinking I'm going with a full rebuild this fall. Gonna do 30 over stock crank clean the block and open up the oil galleys swap to aluminum intake and heads. Guy local for 700 bucks will do all the machine work on the block heads and intake he even said if I'm not racing, a stroker is a huge waste of money. He's going to have a complete price list for all my parts next week then I'll posts it up on here

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah after some thinking I'm going with a full rebuild this fall. Gonna do 30 over stock crank clean the block and open up the oil galleys swap to aluminum intake and heads. Guy local for 700 bucks will do all the machine work on the block heads and intake he even said if I'm not racing, a stroker is a huge waste of money. He's going to have a complete price list for all my parts next week then I'll posts it up on here
Does his machine work include rebuilding the rods and balancing?

Sounds like you are on the right track, and you'll definitely be happy with it when it's done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Does his machine work include rebuilding the rods and balancing?

Sounds like you are on the right track, and you'll definitely be happy with it when it's done.
Yep rods and balancing included. For an extra 600 he will assemble and dyno the motor in his shop. At that price its almost worth doing it just to have it be complete as I work full time at bout 60 hours a week. It could take months for me to put it together.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts