Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Galaxie 500 Fastback
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
@289Galaxie Yeah, I dont expect to use the punches frequently but for 9 bucks they are worth having on hand. A friend spent a little time creating a couple of quick scale templates for the speakers to make life a little easier. It will be a fair amount of time to punch all the holes for all 4 speakers.
Creative arts Art Pattern Font Circle

·
Registered
682 Posts
You've got way more patience than I do!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Either that or I'm a glutton for punishment 🥴. The goal is for the interior to look mostly original with a few aux gauges and modern amenities. Should have the rear speakers mounted in the outer most holes Thursday or Friday. Hopefully I don't ruin the new package tray and door cards in the process.

I spoke to Steve Cook of Steve cook creations on monday regarding the rear suspension and wheels specs on this beautiful galaxie he put together for Bruce Ricks and am waiting to hear back. The article states the wheels were 15x8 US steel OE model but with some custom offset/backspacing. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Anyone else ordered and received parts from Crites Performance(CP) ? I'm hoping the quality of the parts is worth the frustration of trying to get something from them. The factory hood on my car had some damage near the cowl, my guess being someone trying to force a stuck hinge. I'm taking the opportunity to replace it with a flat fiberglass hood.

Ive been told by CP the last 4 or 5 thursdays that most of the items are boxed except for the hood which still needs to be drilled and tapped. Ordered at the beginning of June and paid for in August(their terms are we bill you when we start building your parts and I'm fine with that), yet each time I call I'm asked "Would you like to place an order?" and "Oh, well what parts did you order?". Same story each thursday, they will be shipped either tomorrow or Monday. A little unnerving.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience with Crites but a friend of mine does. He ordered a Crites 4-speed transmission tunnel hump that was supposed to fit a 67 Galaxie from one of the aftermarket suppliers. What he received wasn't even close so he returned it and ordered one from a different company. He received the same item as the first company sent.

I can't quite remember the reason he wasn't too happy.......

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

• Haha
Reactions: segeorge982

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
Odd they are stainless, they sure aren't on my '64. Maybe if you find some used stainless you could scuff them up etc and paint them? I bet a good body shop could make you a set using your old ones as a guide/pattern. I say that because at the moment I've been on another project involving a Cougar and many Mustang parts are interchangeable. But the seat riser they sell for the '68 cougar is shorter than the one they say fits. It is actually a Mustang part which is welded to the floor pan. One person bought one then took it to a shop to have them alter it so it's 1" shorter so it would match is other side. So might be an option for your panel retainer also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
@289Galaxie - yikes! thats pretty bad. I'm a little worried about the hood being drilled and tapped by CP. The fiberglass bumpers I know i've got to add all the bolt holes.

@ShotRod64 - i agree, its odd they are only reproduced in stainless. good idea on find a local shop to use the originals as a pattern. I've got a good one nearby. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Some progress on the rear speakers last night. Itd be a shame to waste all that space in the package tray.

Automotive tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Light

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Lots of progress on interior. Finally bought a new battery so most of last week was spent testing new wiring; lighting, power and stereo setup. I ended up having to remove the heater box to replace the original motor with dead bearings( i shouldve done that when i rebuilt/resealed the box earlier this year.) and the blower motor resistor. The thought was I could save some money because I remembered it was working when the car was disassembled. Instead it cost me more time. Live and Learn.

The most complicated circuit was the dome light circuit because of both door switches, the glovebox switch, the headlight switch and all interior lights. I simplfied it by adding a couple of bus bars under the dash which will also allow the quick addition of anything else that needs an "always hot" connection going forward, immediate plans are for lights under the hood and in the trunk.

Last night was spent planning the fuel system and then attempting to finish the package tray over the speakers. Tedious to knock roughly 130 holes per speaker into a brand new package tray. The punch worked well and cut clean holes. 3 speakers left to finish

Stairs Rectangle Wood Hood Line

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Package tray is in along with the trim, rear door panels and backseat for the 3rd and hopefully final time. Picture is prior to reinstallation of the aforementioned trim, and backseat. Even with the holes preforated through the rear panel I expected the sounds to be somewhat muffled, happy to report the speakers sound the same with or without the package tray. The rest of the evening was spent cleaning up wiring under the dash and the interior floor so the carpet can settle out of the box.

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive parking light Rectangle

Ive got a friend commited to helping out all weekend, hopefully resulting in a lot of progress.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Good progress over the weekend with a few minor setbacks. Had to get another heater for the garage because the temperature in NC dropped over the weekend and my old heater apparently has a short. Importantly, the 4 core radiator with a made from scratch fan shroud is in. The hose's would be attached if i'd remembered to get some new hose clamps(dumb setback). Spent a fair amount of time figuring out where it made the most sense to put the tach and ended up going to the left of the other aux gauges so it wasnt in the way/good for smashing knees.

There's a chance this thing runs in the next couple weeks.

White Electric fan Light Audio equipment Automotive engine gasket

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
We were able to install the new 1" drop front springs last night. The car sits with a 1/2" forward rake, measured at the front and rear of the rocker, that should remain as the car is reassembled. Cooling system was finished and filled but a quick check this morning before work looks like i've got a small leak near the thermostat, likely the bolts, that needs attention. Onwards!

Tire Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The crites bumpers and hood arrived. The bumpers look great and weigh nothing but unfortunately the hood was damaged somewhere along the way so I rejected delivery from the shipping company and provided pictures to Crites. Allegedly a new hood will be here in 2 weeks, we'll see. I need to polish much of the alumium for the front of the car and am not looking forward to the grille. Starting to look more like a car though.

Plant Wood Shade Floor Door

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
682 Posts
Happy to hear that your experience with Crites was a positive one. Too bad about the hood being damaged though, that's quite a disappointment.

Your car is coming along nicely and looks great!

Reactions: segeorge982

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks @289Galaxie. We got the trans lines routed and setup last night using AN fittings and braided hose. Much easier to hide and route to the C6 vs adapting hardlines.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Grille

Automotive tire Fluid Wood Rim Gas

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Decent progress since the last post but I'm getting decidedly worse at taking pictures. The kwikwire harness I used to rewire the car had provisions for emergency flashers, so I hid a toggle switch from a slickside ford truck just above the parking brake release handle but forgot to take a picture. More importantly, the car is extremely close to being completely wired. Last night we completed wiring the Holley Sniper system to the fan relay and the main harness, connected the battery and the Sniper screen flashed to life. Everything under the hood is completed, with the exception of Horns and front parking lights/blinkers. Need to finish wiring the fuel pump and the convenience lights in the trunk and hood I'm adding. Goal is to add the loom(its sitting on top of the Holley TBI) and wire in the blinkers tonight afterwork. A myriad of small but important things, trans linkage, reinstall bellcrank and kickdown, are left as well, like brakes. Definitely need those.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
More progress but less photographic evidence. Original Horns were shot so I ordered the ones pictured below, FIAMM freeway blaster. (FIAMM is the current horn supplier for Ford and made in USA). They are much lighter and much louder than the original horns for ~$30.

Added in an overflow reservoir(the miller lite can) to replace the roaddraft system. It will be hidden underhood with the black paint further hiding it.

I also needed to create a new piece of the throttle linkage because the one that was on the car when I got it was hacked together garbage. Started with a piece of 2 ft 5/16"s steel rod, cut down, cut the correct thread pitch, added a L bend, and drilled a hole for a pin to attach it to the sniper tbi

Not pictured:
  • All underhood wiring has been loomed.
  • Fuel Feed and return lines are installed and tucked out of the way. One of the nice features about the sniper TBI is 3 options for fuel feed. I used connection on the driver's side rear of the unit to run the line down the back of the engine to the passenger frame rail to keep everything out of sight. The lines are then clamped to the frame with insulated clamps.
  • Fuel pump and sender are wired.
  • Have to reassemble the bellcrank after modifications to remove unecessary pieces I wont be using with the lokar kickdown cable. Completed all the changes last night and added a fresh coat of paint.

Automotive tire Audio equipment Material property Kitchen appliance Camera accessory

Liquid Drinkware Bottle Fluid Drink

Wood Tool Hand tool Line Metalworking hand tool

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Well this weekend didnt go exactly as planned. Instead of troubleshooting brand new Holley sniper setup we chose to break in the cam with a carburetor and a gas can with a remote low PSI electric fuel pump. Battery - check, jumper wire on the fan relay - check. Car fired up pretty easily with a little adjustment to timing and then about 45 seconds in smoke out of the driver's side exhaust. Passenger side pipe is perfect.

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

Identified a couple oil leaks, a little rtv here, rechecking the torque specs there and recrank. 45 seconds - More smoke. Neighbors coming out of their houses wondering whats on fire. Well that's odd. Maybe there is some condensation and oil in the exhaust from when the HG blew in 2017 before tear down. Timer says 8:02 has passed.

Check for leaks. Nothing. Crank again. Runs great for 30-45 seconds. Then the smoke starts again. Keep in mind we are attempting to break the cam in and get to the minimum of 15 minutes at, at least 1500 rpm. Timer says 11:28 has passed.

Started pulling plugs. #6 and #8 plugs look good(didnt check #5 and #7 at first). Recheck for leaks. Nothing apparent. Pull valve covers and everything has good oil, engine has good oil pressure. Reassemble and restart. 45 seconds passes and more smoke. Our leak is getting worse and its very apparent its something with the intake or valves on Drivers side. Shut it down. timer says 16:04 has passed.

Lets pull all the plugs on driver's side. #7 cylinder sparkplug is covered in oil and a bit crispy(the one on the left in the picture below). Definitely have either a gasket issue or a valve issue. Plugs for #5, #6 and #8 all look good if not a bit lean. Frustrated, we called it a night on Saturday.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive design

Sunday morning I ordered another set of intake gaskets from the local Oreilly's remaining optimistic it's just a gasket that didn't seat. Usual morning routine, have coffee, go walk dogs with the gf, marinate on the problem way too much. After lunch we started tearing everything apart.

FE's are fun, you guys know the drill when it comes to removing an intake from an FE, everything has to come out. Sure enough, the intake gasket near #7 never seated properly(middle of picture below). After 16+ minutes of run time oil was starting to creep into number 8(bottom) and number 6(top). I did not intentionally order the Fel-Pro print a seal, they came with the gasket kit for rebuilding the engine, but I can confirm they do not work well for an FE. Either way its my fault. By 8pm last night we had everything cleaned and reassembled, new intake gaskets( Fel pro MS90145 with the tabs that hold it in place), New china wall RTV, valves readjusted, fresh oil, refilled coolant, everything torqued back down, plumbed and connected.

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle Tire

We'll prime the sniper system tonight and try to start it. Fingers crossed it quits smoking pretty quickly. I really want to hear this thing settle into a nice lopey idle. My heart (and wallet) can't take a bigger problem. I will be making my own plug wires and painting the breather to keep everything tidy and functional, but after we get past this issue.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
A neighbor a couple doors up sent this picture from Saturday. light (oil) fog...

Oops. 😬

Sky Plant Wood Natural landscape Tree

41 - 60 of 85 Posts