Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Galaxie 500 Fastback
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
More progress and less pictures. Got the hydroboost mounted to the firewall last night. Lots of little details to make the 97 mustang Gt hydroboost work with the galaxie. Had to exchange the AN fittings I previously ordered for some with more appropriate angles. Also found a MC reservoir from a 96 bronco that will sit flat instead of the one that came with the HB unit. Hopefully lines and fittings show up by early next week. Good chance the galaxie moves under it own power before NY.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive lighting

Helmet Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
We finished the brake lines and hydroboost install about 1115 last night. Proceeded to try and install factory fender liners. We might have been too tired. Does anyone have a picture underhood showing how the fender liners should be installed? Under or over the inner fender is the current debate. Thanks!

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Thanks @Foxbody817 !

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
By "fender liners" do you mean the rubber splash shields?

I believe they go on top of the inner fender wells.
They go on top on my 66 Galaxie.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
After doing a bunch of digging and examining and re-examining the inner fender liners I decided they go under the inner fenders, in the wheel wells on a 63. I'm probably wrong but it seems to make sense.

We made a bunch of progress last week(week off work) even with a few set backs.
  1. All new brakes lines front to rear. Wasnt terrible to do, Would've been smarter to replace the front lines while the engine was out. Front passenger line was original and popped as soon as we put pressure to it. I'm happy it popped on jack stands and not first test drive.
  2. The biggest setback was a bad master cylinder but its hard to complain too much when I bought the MC and Hydroboost off a 97 mustang GT for $45. A new master cylinder solved the problem.
  3. We also tested the trans to make sure the C6 we rebuilt for it in Dec of 2019 worked. Put the car on jackstands and let it idle through the gears starting with 1st to make sure fluid got where it needed to. Added a little fluid and then put it in drive to make sure all 3 forward gears worked. Reminded myself that we firmed up the 1-2 shift with a shift kit during the rebuild. Yeesh!
    1. Quick aside, sold the old ford-o matic over the holidays for $140. The C6 was $150 before the rebuild kit. Cant complain one bit on what I've got into the trans; money + time.
  4. Made some little brackets to cleanup the engine bay and keep lines and wires out of harms way.
  5. Finished and installed the trim panel under the rear seat, trimmed and installed carpet, trimmed and installed door cards, Installed the front seat.
    1. used a neat trick we saw on one of the hotrod shows to make bolt holes in the carpet. Heat up the end of a 1/2 in pipe and melt thru. The result was a perfect hole and carpet that wont fray!
  6. Primed and starting sanding the crites fiberglass bumpers. Still have plenty to do here.
  7. Installed a gas pedal. I will say for anyone replacing a gas pedal. Just go ahead and convert to a hanging pedal. Itll be worth it.
  8. And over lunch today I picked up the aircleaner I dropped off to a local shop for some small modifications. Pictures soon.
Winter finally arrived in NC so I wont be able to paint much until later this week. The car can be road (neighborhood) tested as is though. Maybe later this week.

I'm still waiting on the replacement hood from crites. Everyweek they say its shipping friday. Getting old quickly.
Also waiting on the clock to come back from Instrument services. Should be next week.

Feel like I'm in the home stretch but there is a ton of detail work left, like figuring out how to polish the grille, weatherstripping everywhere, polishing the sill plates and one last fun addition to give the Holley Sniper screen a place to live.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Comfort Wood Floor Sportswear Sneakers

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
A little progress here and there on small things last week. Wired a couple of hidden courtesy lights in the trunk using a simple pin switch on the hinge(need to get pictures). The original air cleaner has been modified with an additional snorkel and removal of the inner wall. I'm setting it up for cold air intake from the radiator support. Here is a quick look while I wait on intake hose and clamps to arrive. The overarching idea is this is what ford could have done. I rushed to take advantage of weather warm enough to paint last week and tried to fill in a dent on the aircleaner and ended up making it look worse.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

The replacement fiberglass hood from Crites is supposed to arrive today. Fingers crossed it isnt cracked and broken like the first one!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice and very clean!! Great job. At least the air cleaner housing is easy to remove to redo in the spring time, the worse critic will be yourself until then so try to pay no attention to it. I like the idea of the extra inlet, I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Good day!

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
Still it looks good. It's older than half the drivers out there on the road, a dent isn't the end. :) Like Foxbody said, can take another stab at it later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice, I like the 260/289 air cleaner as part of a cold air intake. Where do they end near the radiator and what filters are you going with? Been thinking about one of these for mine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
One of the hoses will attach to the radiator support on passenger side of the radiator where the battery vent holes are. I'm planning to cut similar holes on the drives side in between the horns and the radiator so it looks like it was always there. I've not figured out a solution on how to mount to the firewall yet, but i need to make adapter I can bolt on to the firewall that has a 2" OD for the hose to clamp to. Turns out the Miller lite alumnium bottles have a 2" OD :ROFLMAO:.

Great question about the filter @Shrive, I'm waiting on a stock size filter to arrive to see if it will work. If not the plan is to carry the housing with me to the local parts stores and test filters until I find one.

@ShotRod64 Its got 21 years on me!

@Foxbody817 yeah, i should be able to fill and match the paint pretty easily once the weather warms up a bit. That could be next week in NC, just never know here.

The replacement crites hood was delivered without any damage this time. Overall it fits pretty well but needs a little massaging on the rear corners near the cowl to make all the body gaps even. Simply mocked it up on the car and started thinking about where the Quick latch hood pins will need to go. Crites recommends pins to keep the huge slab hood from fluttering around and I didnt want to go old school pins with wires. No teardrop hood here. It will be painted to match the car eventually.

Photograph Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
3 Posts
@segeorge982 - I completely agree on where to mount and cutting the vertical holes on the driver side to match the passenger is the way to do it. It should look like it came from the factory that way.

I've been thinking about these K&N filters, pointing them downward. Plenty of room on driver side but passenger side has the battery in the way. I've been debating whether moving it to the trunk and doing all this effort was worth it ;-)

Here's the mockup I did with 4" cardboard tube.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did the twin snootus mod on mine a couple months ago, I put one hose in the gap between my radiator and core support, on the other side it just kinda dangles down in front of the battery. Easier than cutting holes, still gets more than enough cold air. The coolest solution would be the high beam intakes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
@APB HAWK where and how do they attach to the radiator support? Any chance you have pictures looking forward where the back of the radiator support is visible?

@cwazywazy I thought about using the high beam headlights but didnt want to draw additional attention to the car. Unfortunately the big alumnium radiator eats up all the room around the core support to where I had to trim some of the new rubber to seal everything up.

@Shrive I allllllmost relocated the battery to the trunk as a part of this rebuild. I had an old school bus battery cable that was pulled from a junkyard school bus 20 years ago. I thought 'aha! ive finally got a use for this!'. Turns out it was too short at 19ft and 25ft+ of battery cable isnt cheap so the battery went back to its factory spot. I've made a template of the slots on the passenger side so I can transfer them to the driver's side. Hopefully only the hardcore galaxie fans will know there shouldnt be slots in the driver side of the rad support. I'll be going slow with a dremel to make them look as "factory" as possible. She's far from factory spec at this point as is, What's a few more holes...?

I've got 2.5" tubing from blastgate company and waiting on some stealth clamps to show up but I think there will be enough room to sneak the 2.5 ducting around the battery. The twinsnorkels and big aircleaner with the center wall removed should flow enough air for the sniper setup. Its been cold in NC the last few days and it looks like we may have an icestorm brewing for the weekend. Progress will be made but hampered by the temps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A flanged ring is attached to the radiator support with 4 3/16 nuts and bolts. The ducts are attached to the fitting with hose clamp. I made a holes in the radiator support where the only flat spot was in that area. I sliced vacuum hose and glued it around the cutout to make it look cleaner. I don't have any pictures of the rear view of the radiator support. Sorry.
I bought 25 feet of cable, then decided I wanted a battery cutoff switch in the trunk. So I ended up cutting cutting about 5 feet off the cable. Had to make two cables. T he car isn't as easy to steal either. I couldn't figure out a way to make ram air look right without putting battery in trunk. Glad I did it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
@APB HAWK, did you make the flanged rings or did you find something to use at a hardware store? My plan is similar, bolting some sort of flange to the rad support. Havent found much in that I can modify off the shelf locally that isnt galvanized

quick edit: you inspired me to search. found some aluminum airplace ducting flangs that will do the trick. Aluminum Flanges For Ducting | Aircraft Spruce

·
Registered
53 Posts
I made my flanged rings at first. Then a few years later I found plastic ones made by Spectre, who also makes auto air intake systems. I bought mine separately about 6 years ago. I don't know if you can still get there that way though.. I originally bought a ducting fitting at home Depot and modified it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I didnt make any progress on the Galaxie over the weekend. Instead I loaded up the dogs, picked up the girlfriend and we went to the NC mountains to enjoy the snow. It started snowing late Saturday evening and quit early monday morning. Dogs had a blast in their first snow. I'm starting to think australian cattle dogs are built for anything, my 10 month old pup loved the snow and refused to come inside several times. My border collie pup also loved the snow but I've got to find some boots or something for his feet as they kept packing with snow/ice.

Ice fetch!

The aluminum flanges were delivered while I was gone and they fit perfectly in the blastgate ducting. Will try to get these painted and mounted this evening after work. Now if the black Stealth Clamps I ordered on Jan 5th would just show up it could be driven hoodless!
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didnt make any progress on the Galaxie over the weekend. Instead I loaded up the dogs, picked up the girlfriend and we went to the NC mountains to enjoy the snow. It started snowing late Saturday evening and quit early monday morning. Dogs had a blast in their first snow. I'm starting to think australian cattle dogs are built for anything, my 10 month old pup loved the snow and refused to come inside several times. My border collie pup also loved the snow but I've got to find some boots or something for his feet as they kept packing with snow/ice.

Ice fetch!

The aluminum flanges were delivered while I was gone and they fit perfectly in the blastgate ducting. Will try to get these painted and mounted this evening after work. Now if the black Stealth Clamps I ordered on Jan 5th would just show up it could be driven hoodless!
View attachment 171184
We get plenty of snow in the PNW and my two boxers never had issue with the snow and ice. You do have to make sure they don't overdo it and have them come inside once every couple/few hours so the pads on their paws can warm up. My dogs loved to eat the snowflakes as they were falling, I miss them very much.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts