Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1964 289 4 speed Comet Clutch Info.

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jetfixr320 
#1 ·
I have a 1964 Comet original 289 4 speed car. It's missing Z-bar, bracket adjusting rod, spring, clutch fork, and rod from clutch pedal through firewall. I don't know what they look like so I don't know what to buy. Need help please!!!

email me at jjjna@verizon.net

#4 ·
You want to make sure you get the right Z bar. IMO you need the one for a '65 Falcon. The '65 Falcon had a 289 which is a slightly different width at the Z bar mounting boss than the '64 260 from what I've gathered. Maybe someone can measure both blocks there to be sure.

If you're going for a restoration you need to find all the components. If it's a hot rod then you can make the rods out of bar or tubing with adjustable rod ends (Heim Joints) which can be helpful. If you're planning on anything other than a stock pressure plate you'll likely bend the stock rods. You can slip a piece of steel pipe over a stock rod to reinforce it as well.

The '64 Falcon / Comet shop manual has some great illustrations if you haven't picked one up yet. They're all over ebay.

Good luck and post up some pics if you can. This site has a lot of good info as does TFFN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.