Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received my numbers-matching 390 back from the rebuilder yesterday; very exciting (very expensive)! However, I wasn't expecting the rebuilt engine to have the metal heat shields between the exhaust manifolds and block. Mac's Auto Parts says the part is "correct for 1960-1974", but I don't recall seeing any concours rebuilds with heat shields. Did Ford install them at the factory in 1964?

Any other comments on the fit and finish of the engine are happily accepted. Thanks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well that sure is purdy, and I bet you are as proud as a brand new papa over it!

To your inquiry;

As a 'retired' Ford parts man, I can say that 'by the book' these heat shields were only called for on (390) T-birds, under p/n's #C1SZ-9448-E & F, denoting r/l sides. However ....I remember selling these like craazy back in the day, to the point where even the newest parts guy behind the counter could do it from memory. lol

Enjoy your new 'baby' :)

Norm

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
They came installed on the 61/ BIRD. The engine compartment was small (uni-body) and they were to lessen heat transfer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny lookin valve covers for a 64
Those were just for the purpose of painting her black. Does this look better? ;)

@Norm & Kultulz, thank you for the expert knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Those were just for the purpose of painting her black. Does this look better? ;)

BEAUTIFUL!

I didn't mean to override Norm. We must have posted at about the same time...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hold on. That explanation about the heat transfer sounds hinky.....
...hinky...?

The engine compartment was small (uni-body) and they were to lessen heat transfer.

What does a tiny piece of tin between the manifold and the Block have to do with HEAT in the engine compartment?
I will let you explain their purpose then...

Shouldn't you be in bed?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
ain't explainin schart! LOL

YOU said they're for heat... :) Great, I get that.... But they're between the BLOCK and the MANIFOLD.... What exactly is being protected here? besides the head I mean?

Gnite guy's K is right, I need to be in bed. :) :)
Start with IGN WIRES and BOOTS for starters.

They deflect heat away from components.

Do you remember the heat deflectors on the Y-BLOCK?

·
Registered
751 Posts
You are very welcome! Can't wait to see it back in, all snugged up and purrin' away. :) I might have to go out to the -5 garage and just gawk at mine now, dreaming of spring. ....eh, maybe not. ;p

And to Kultulz; no harm, no foul on your post --we were both sharing the same 'interweb' space it seems, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts