Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternator / Generator that was on my fairlane works and charges, but it's not aligned properly. The pulley is set about about one pulley channel width (ie: a 2-groove pulley would probably be perfect). Does anyone have close up pictures of their set up so I could compare and see if something is wrong with my brackets / etc? Here is what i have:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doesn't look as simple as a water pump, though, as the harmonic balancer pulley is perfectly aligned with the water pump pulley. that's why I was looking for pics, to see what other people's 289 set up in 1964 looked like. Hopefully someone has a few pictures they can share

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a '64 Fairlane with a '64 289, but with a 69 302 timing cover and a cast iron water pump used in conjunction with an original generator, and my alignment is not great either. It looks just like yours. The generator pulley sits about 1/8" to the rear of the other pulleys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thought is maybe the generator and mount were from another model, which is why it isn't aligned. I'm going to see if I can pick up a dual groove pulley and install, as that appears to be how far off it is. In the meantime, if anyone with a 1964 with a 289 can shoot a picture of their set-up, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts