Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 1964 Fairlane that was my grandfather's before he passed. I had a shop get it prepped to be roadworthy again, as it sat for at least 10 years. It is now running and driving, and I'm starting to tackle little issues as I find them.

One concern I have is that my grandfather bought it from a lady a long while back, that had some of the wiring melt down. He replaced what he needed to in order to get it on the road, but due to health problems, he stopped short of finishing. I found some wires that come out of the firewall in the engine compartment, then go along the firewall, past the rear brackets, then down to two connectors, and then down along the transmission. A good 18" section of these wires are melted and fused together, and I'm not sure yet what they go to. Wasn't sure if someone might know off the top of their head what they are, and what they go to. The car is currently stored at a location a little ways from here, so I don't have the opportunity to lay under it at the moment.

Any help is appreciated. Oh, and not sure if it matters, but the tails do not have the reverse lights on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links. As I recall there was a red w/ blue and a brown, so odds are it's NSS and reverse lights (which mine doesn't have anyway). I'll end up cutting out the bad section and soldering in new wires.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Neutral safety would have been my guess. Doubt any of the vendors will have it. Just cut and solder new wires in. You will be good to go.

Jet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics. I have two red w/ blue tracer, so those are definitely NSS. There are also two dark with light purple-ish tracers, guessing those are also NSS / Reverse, although they don't match the black w/ red tracer listed on the diagram.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if I were a boob, I'd replace the wires to see if it would happen again ;)

I've been building cars for nearly 30 years, and I'll be tracing down the issue before replacing. But since I didn't have a diagram for this car handy, figured I'd ask if anyone knew specifically what the wires were (and my hunch seems correct).

For the burned wires, from what I was told there was a wire that had rubbed bare and grounded on a bracket, which started the fire. From what I see, looks like these might have been the wires that started it all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts