Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I just bought a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura (170 I6 / 3-Speed Manual) and I am a new member of this forum.

I would like to upgrade the front brakes with Disk Brakes and later stronger rear end when I do a V8 swap. My local salvage yard has a Ford Maverick, but I don’t remember which year.

Can someone please tell me which model/year of Ford Maverick or Granada brake/spindles and rear end that would work with my 1964 Falcon?

I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Waid

·
Registered
300 Posts
All the Maverick axles should be 8" units, some of the early ones are 4 bolt though. I have a mid 70's one in my 65 Falcon and it is slightly narrower than the stock one that came out.

The other (probably better) option if you plan on some V8 upgrades is to find a 90-92 explorer rear end that already has a posi, discs, 3:55 or 3:73 gearing and 31 spline axles. They are not that expensive and pretty easy to find in scrap yards.

There are a lot of write-ups about shortening the one side so it will fit nicely in an early Falcon. This is what I will likely end up doing at some point.

Can't help with the front as I went to M2 set-up....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
65falkone,

Is there any larger rear end that would be just bolt on without any mods?

Would you please post a link to the Explorer rear end that you are talking about. I am little new this stuff!

Thanks

Waid

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
An 80's Ford Granada or Lincoln Versailles 9-inch is basically a bolt in. There are some mods you'd have to make like shock mounting plates and brake line connection. As I recall mine was about 1/2 inch wider than the stock 8-inch that came out.

The 8.8 is another good option if you can find one intact and with the disc brakes and all that. They are almost as strong as a 9-inch and cheaper.

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Maverick front disk will work for you if you change to V8 upper and lower control arms.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
A 57 Fairlane 9" would also be a option for your car. There is a guy with one listed in the Indianapolis Craigslist now. May be a little pricey if you ask me. Thought he wanted $500?

I went the Explorer 8.8" with disc route. pretty easy to cut the drivers side axle tube down 3", and use another passenger side axle.
Pic a Parts are full of Explorers.

Hers a link, http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/rear-end-articles/495110-31-spline-explorer-axle-swap.html

Jet

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
So the 1964 Falcon V8 had different upper & lower controls arms?

Thanks
Yes, V8 is different from 6. Also steering linkage is different. Smaller for the 6.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does it make any difference from which Maverick (70-77) I get the spindles?

Another words, are all spindles the same on all Mavericks (6 or V8) ?

Thank you,

Waid

·
Registered
634 Posts
64 falcon used the same upper and lower control arms 6 or v/8. I have a 64 i bought new with the 6 ,when i changed it over i replaced the arms new with v/8 ones,they were the same. The only reason i changed them was to get new ball joints and they were getting beat up after being used on bad roads for 150,000 miles. They were made the same and looked the same.I used the 77 granada spindle /disc brakes , v/8 power steering with granada outer tie rod ends. It has a 66 mustang 8" rear ,plenty strong for a stock engine. 57,58,59 ,9" is a bolt in with minor changes in u-bolts and plates. The front springs on the 6/cy are okay for a v/8. When they came out new they sat a little high in front, a v/8 brings them down about one inch,just right. I know most of the guys on here never saw a new falcon and may have not known that, I saw a lot of them. They did have different part numbers for the springs back years ago ,but most places sell the same one now. I never liked the new v/8 springs i bought and removed them to put the original 6/cy ones back on. The new v/8 ones i will sell on craigs list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have replaced the upper and lower arms on a 65 i no longer have and they were the same too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I could not resist. I went to see the Maverick which had inline 6 motor today at my local salvage yard (the only one that I could in my area). Here are the pics of the spindles. It seems that these are identical to to the Granada. I checked Autozone's website for 1975 Maverick with I6 & V8 and also 1978 Garana with V8 and all came back with same brake rotor and tie rod ends.

Waid

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bought the spindle with complete brakes and rear end from the 75 Maverick for $150.

I guess the moderator has to approve posts with pictures?

Waid

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jetfixr320,

Is there anything else I should get from the 75 Maverick from the front suspension & steering?

Thanks

Waid

·
Registered
116 Posts
Waid,
If the Mav.or Comet has disc brakes, Use them. Also use the 8" rear end,it's about 3/4-1" narower than your 64(56 1/2" out side of drum to drum) this will give you more room for tire clearence or larger tire. Direct bolt in,except the shock plates are stagered (one in front and one in the rear of the rear end .Use 67 -70 v-8 Mustang shock plates and u-bolts ( larger diam: axle tubes) buy from a Mustang vender (about $20 to $25.00 a set) The spring seats are the same distance on both rear ends.

Hope this helps: Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Butch, the 75 Maverick has disk brakes. I went to get the spindles only and the salvage yard gave me the spindles with brake calipers and rotors with hose attached for $50 for both sides including the proportioning valve. Considering they are 1975, they had just small amount of surface rust and are in very good condition. According the Autozone's website, the outer ends for 1975 Maverick & 1978 Granadas are all the same regardless of the engine.

I ony went to get the spindles and when I saw the 8" rear on the Maverick with the original factory paint still on it, I could not resist and bought it for $100.

I am not sure if the steering box on the Maverick is heavy duty or not.

Should I get the steering box too?

Waid

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am not sure if the steering box on the Maverick is heavy duty or not.

Should I get the steering box too?

Waid[/QUOTE]

Your steering box is okay if it's been taken care of. Ford used the same one in all of the 64 falcon cars. The ratio is different between the standard and power setups. My power one has 226,000 miles on it with out any problems ,but i do keep it adjusted and full of lube. The maverick one may not fit with out some modifications, but I'm not sure. You got a great deal on the parts, less than i would have sold my extra granada spindles ,disc brakes for. I have a 76 maverick rear in my chevy street rod behind 300 hp ,no problems yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts