Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1964 Falcon has Inline 6. I was told before I bought it that the motor was replaced. The motor that is in the car now came from Ranchero.

On passenger side, there are 3 freeze plugs and the casting number on the block is C4DE 6014-A.

I would appreciate if anyone can tell how to tell the differences between the Ford Inline 6 motors. 144, 170 or 200?

Thanks

Waid

·
Registered
634 Posts
A 200 will have 5 freeze plugs,so that means 144 or 170. The 4 in the numbers may mean 64, i'm not sure as i don't know the inline 6 as well as the v/8 in the numbers department. F E probably knows ,he will be along later i'm sure.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is that the engine that came in it ? I thought you said it came from another car, maybe i misunderstood you. If it's a transplant ,then you need the VIN from the car it came out of from the factory . Is that the number you show? The only other way that i can tell the difference in a 144 and 170 , is to take it apart. They may have different block casting numbers i don't know about.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
A 200 will have 5 freeze plugs,so that means 144 or 170.
Early 200's had 3 freeze plugs, 4 main bearings and solid lifters...same as the 144-170. In '65 the 200 got 5 freeze plugs, 7 main bearings and hydraulic lifters. Best way to tell what you have is measure the stroke.
14 has a 2.5" stroke, 170 is 2.94" and the 200 has a 3.126" stroke

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Early 200's had 3 freeze plugs, 4 main bearings and solid lifters...same as the 144-170. In '65 the 200 got 5 freeze plugs, 7 main bearings and hydraulic lifters. Best way to tell what you have is measure the stroke.
Folks keep saying this but I have yet to come across one of these beasties.

I want bore and stroke proof of this monster, not just rumors. :D

Pretty please

·
Registered
634 Posts
Never seen one and i have been working on them since 1964. I don't believe ford ever made the 200 with three freeze plugs. You can convince me with some old FOMCO literature , but not any thing somebody else wrote. I have an open mind but, until then it's just hearsay and rumors.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Never seen one and i have been working on them since 1964. I don't believe ford ever made the 200 with three freeze plugs. You can convince me with some old FOMCO literature , but not any thing somebody else wrote. I have an open mind but, until then it's just hearsay and rumors.
Thank you! THAT is what I've been trying to tell folks. Last month some fart smeller said he had a 3 plug 200 and I told him it was a 170, but he insisted.

I want proof, and nobody has bothered to offer any.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Here is a screen shot from the 60-68 Master Parts Catalog showing the early 200 had 4 main bearings. I wouldn’t think Ford would cast another block just to put 5 freeze plugs then make a new cast again so it would hold 7 main bearings. They most likely used the 144-170 block for 2 years until they made the 7 bearing block.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here is a screen shot from the 60-68 Master Parts Catalog showing the early 200 had 4 main bearings. I wouldn’t think Ford would cast another block just to put 5 freeze plugs then make a new cast again so it would hold 7 main bearings. They most likely used the 144-170 block for 2 years until they made the 7 bearing block.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To small to read even after magnification ,so, no proof without Ford stamp of approval . Still don't believe, enlarge it so i can see.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Show me a real engine made by Ford in the U S A and I will believe it.
If i wanted to spend the time I could find all kinds of exotic engines ,ect drawn up but never built.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
bam......proof
Bam..... Nothing but a page in a book....

SOMEONE show ME a 200 CI 6 cylinder with 4 main bearings please. Not a picture. :)

Bore and stroke with a 4 main crank will suffice.

They may have been spoken about, but in my 20 years of enjoying the Ford inline 6, I've never seen one, and only heard of it as of last month.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
To small to read even after magnification ,so, no proof without Ford stamp of approval . Still don't believe, enlarge it so i can see.
The forum software resized my photo. Here is the pic I uploaded http://1bad6t.com/extra3/60-65_6cyl_crankshaft.gif You might need to left click the image after it loads if you have your setting to auto-resize.
Show me a real engine made by Ford in the U S A and I will believe it.
Ford Straight-6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I can say the same about a 221 V8...I never seen one personally but they say they made them. As far as showing you a real picture of the block...I don't have one laying around. I'm sure some of the 63-4 Fairlane guys have seen the early 200's

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
The reason I'm being so redundant in my statements is due to the extremely unlikely event that ANYONE is going to just happen to have a 4 bearing 200 in their car.

No matter what the car is.

I want to see a 63 or 64 ANY CAR with a 200 4 main 3 plug engine.

Again, that illustration shows TWO cranks a 4 main and a 7 main, and it references Three engines, a 144 a 170 and a 200.

It does NOT however make reference to which illustration goes with which engine.

People may be mistaken due to that ambiguity.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It does NOT however make reference to which illustration goes with which engine.
Text below the first crank says its for a '63-'64 200 six cylinder engine AND '60-up 144 and 170 six cylinder engine. The 2nd crank says it is for a '65-up 200 and and 250 six cylinder. If you look at the chart at the top you will see they have two different part numbers for the 200, C30Z -A is for the 4 main crank and C50Z -A fits the 7 main crank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.