Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 64 Falcon with factory V8 ( 260) & power steering and there is no more adjustment in the steering box. You can turn the steering wheel almost a full half turn and the front wheels don't even move ! Does anyone know if there are replacement steering boxes for this type of car?
or maybe repro boxes ? Is there any other Ford steering box that would work on this type of car?
This car is very hard to drive and unsafe really with all the "play" in the steering.

thanks

64Falconguy

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Rode's Restoration rebuilt classic Ford steering systems for Mustangs, Fairlanes, Cougars, and Falcons and also offer reproduction parts.

Rebuilding services include:

* Control Valves
* Slave Cylinders
* Pumps
* Steer Gears 1955-1973
* Complete Power Steering Conversion Kits

They say:

We rebuild your 1957-1977 Classic Ford power steering system.

Rode's Restoration
1406 Lohr Road
Galion
Ohio 44833

Phone: 419-468-5182

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It's most likely the control valve...not the steering box. When you adjusted the steering box...I hope you turned the worm bearing preload (the large adjusting nut which is threaded into the housing) and not just the sector shaft mesh load adjusting screw located in the housing cover. Both adjustments need to be made together or you mess up the box

·
Registered
678 Posts
We have a 64 Falcon with factory V8 ( 260) & power steering and there is no more adjustment in the steering box. You can turn the steering wheel almost a full half turn and the front wheels don't even move ! Does anyone know if there are replacement steering boxes for this type of car?
or maybe repro boxes ? Is there any other Ford steering box that would work on this type of car?
This car is very hard to drive and unsafe really with all the "play" in the steering.

thanks

64Falconguy
I like to use Dan at CHOCKOSTANG.com

·
Registered
233 Posts
Autokrafters also sell rebuilt boxes.
Adjusting the box installed in the car is a crapshoot. You need to measure how much bearing pre-load is on it before you can adjust the mesh correctly.
Although I bought some parts from Stangersite recently without a problem. Ive heard that he can take a loooong time to rebuild a box.

Dan at Chockostang provides a great service.

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 64 66h falcon ranchero 260 4 speed the power steering is I think to strong you cann't feel the road, had it since it was new and it's always been that way wished i could turn the pressure down so i can feel the road, it has a pump and a slave cylinder with a ball and socket which is the valve than controls slave cylinder.
any sugestions. Carls64

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have a 64 66h falcon ranchero 260 4 speed the power steering is I think to strong you cann't feel the road, had it since it was new and it's always been that way wished i could turn the pressure down so i can feel the road, it has a pump and a slave cylinder with a ball and socket which is the valve than controls slave cylinder.
any sugestions. Carls64
I think that's they way they were made , i don't know of any adjustments you can do. My 64 i bought new and it has been that way forever, almost to easy to turn. The power steering cars had a different ratio box , less turns lock to lock. So you might be able to use one from a standard steering car , more turns, and get more road feel. I'v never tried it so i'm not sure if it would help or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
...So you might be able to use one from a standard steering car , more turns, and get more road feel. I'v never tried it so i'm not sure if it would help or not.
the topic is a little old, but here's my 2 cents anyway. That's ^ what I did on my 64. I have been happy with it ever since. I like the feel, & if you have ever had a good look at the size of the control valve, you will understand the added sense of confidence in the manual set-up. It has been a lot of years, but if I remember correctly, the linkage had to be swapped too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts