Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the engine out of my 64 Galaxie, 352, and once they got the starter out it was noticibly different then the FE starter on my 67 428. Does anyone know if the new style starter will work on a 64 block with Cruise O Matic. I got a mini starter to clear the Sanderson Headers, and discovered quite a different looking starter on the car. (It has a 6inch extension beyond the starter, an external bendix gear I assume)
Also included a couple photos of the nasty block and top end. Anyone seen a petcock installedb in the side of the block before? Was this something someone else added or factory? I assume it was to drain the fluid out of the block.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You can use a later starter if you change the flexplate (flywheel) to a 65 or later. Just make sure it fits your torque converter.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Would changing the ring gear to the 184 tooth on the old flexplate work with the new style starter?
You can use a later starter if you change the flexplate (flywheel) to a 65 or later. Just make sure it fits your torque converter.
What 63fird406 said.

Not sure of tooth count as am away from my MPC. Will know tonite. Are you considering an OEM replacement or a HP plate?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Anyone seen a petcock installedb in the side of the block before? Was this something someone else added or factory? I assume it was to drain the fluid out of the block.
Back in the day before permanent coolant was readily available, an alcohol based coolant was used for the winter. You changed to the old coolant in the winter and drained/refilled with water for the summer. The block petcock allowed the block to be drained as there was little anti-corrosion properties in that coolant and you wanted to drain it completely seasonally.

One also rotated the battery caps and changed to spring air in the tires... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plan was to just going OEM. I am pretty sure the current flex plate is 153 tooth ring gear. If the ring gear can be changed to a 184 tooth it would fit my converter for sure. I will have to check and compare that the 65 flexplate diameter(184) is the same as the 64 (153)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Plan was to just going OEM.

I am pretty sure the current flex plate is 153 tooth ring gear. If the ring gear can be changed to a 184 tooth it would fit my converter for sure. I will have to check and compare that the 65 flexplate diameter(184) is the same as the 64 (153)
The 64 flexplate is 14.98" DIA whereas the 65/ flexplate is 14 1/2" DIA. The difference in DIA will be made up with the later starter drive.

The RG is not serviceable separately on a flexplate (welded to) as it is on a flywheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts