Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A couple more goodies before the next autocross. I had been searching for performance shocks for a while, come to find out they are in fact available. I found a set of single adjustable RideTech shocks (made by Fox) and hastily picked them up. RideTech actually offers quite a few options for shocks and even coilover conversions for 1964. I'm considering their 4 link rear setup.

After spending most of the weekend searching for rear shocks I came cross Viking Performance in Minnesota. Rod Ends, Shocks, and Springs | Viking Performance
They offer a coilover setup for the front as well as front and rear shocks, however their setup is double adjustable. I gave them a call on Monday morning and they said they would have them done by 3pm the same day.

I can't wait to try them out!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I'm in the process of rebuilding the rear end of my car again. The clutch style posi just doesn't have enough bite to make both tires spin when exiting the corners with nearly 12 inch wide tires. I will post some details on the center section and axles and lengths later next week,

while searching around I found this image..... something to think about for this winter. RideTech 4 link conversion for 1964 Galaxies.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Hey,

I really enjoyed reading through this thread! I saw the pciture of the car in original condition and knew it was a keeper. The grill, molding and body work all looked in really good condition. Further into the thread I saw where you were going with the project and was impressed. I wish you were my neighbor so I could drop by and get you to help on my project. Awesome! Some some good ideas!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great thread,
Big girl looks right at home in those corners!
Just installed a set of Viking double adj. coilovers, & noticed quite a difference in handling already

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey,

I really enjoyed reading through this thread! I saw the pciture of the car in original condition and knew it was a keeper. The grill, molding and body work all looked in really good condition. Further into the thread I saw where you were going with the project and was impressed. I wish you were my neighbor so I could drop by and get you to help on my project. Awesome! Some some good ideas!
Thanks for the comment, I am fortunate to have found such a clean starter project, I think you are correct, it is a keeper. Some day I hope to do a frame off but for now i'm just having fun driving the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Great thread,
Big girl looks right at home in those corners!
Just installed a set of Viking double adj. coilovers, & noticed quite a difference in handling already
I have a hard time not fiddling with the adjustments every time out lol. they really are a great shock I couldn't find anything else on the market for the rear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just a few updates,
I rebuilt the rearend and had it out the track a few times, Really happy with the setup. I retained the stock housing and went with 31 spline axles. these are the measurements I came up with
Passenger Side length Dimension:32 1/4
Drivers Side length Dimension: 27 3/4
Ford small bearing.

I did a Eaton Tru-track which has worked out perfectly on the track and street. I have no trouble with one wheel peel and it doesn't make any noise or jerk the car around.
for some reason or another I neglected to take any pictures.

I did however take a video of the car at Powercruise that you will either love or hate, but it does illustrate the new rear in action.
https://youtu.be/XZ-U61iBAa4?list=FLC927qjZujrf03Rm0ibvMtQ

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I weighed the car Galaxie over the weekend. I have mixed feelings on the results, on one hand she is heavier than I thought but on the other it seems to be better balanced. Anyway before the winter mods begin here are the results.

1964 Galaxie Custom 2 door 460/c6 1/2 tank gas full cooling full oil
aluminum heads and intake alum radiator, PS, no ac 8 quart roadrace pan, cavailer rack, cssp 13 inch brakes. full interior bench seats, dynomat in floors doors roof.

12/2015 Galaxie Weight

total 4066 with driver

LF 1176 1051 RF
LR 931 908 RR

cross 1982 48.7%
left 2108 51.8%
Rear 1840 45.2%

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can't see the video, anyway you could approve me for viewing? Killer looking car, awesome to see a big Galaxie turning corners.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can't see the video, anyway you could approve me for viewing? Killer looking car, awesome to see a big Galaxie turning corners.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to next year, I will update my build thread when i have something to show.

I don't think you need approval, see if these links work.
Burnout

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Mock and trial fit with a number of different spindles.

On the left we have a granada spindle, then a Wilwood 2 inch drop spindle, Ridetech 2 inch drop spindle, and of course the stock drum brake spindle.
I plan on running a 18x10 inch front wheel with 6.6 inches of backspacing. This is a common aftermarket mustang rear wheel and can be had cheap.

This introduces all sorts of problems as the ball joints and tierod ends have to fit inside the wheel in order to have the get a decent scrub radius.

this is the Ridetech spindle which has the best fit however, it would drop the front 2.7 inches and is tough to find a steering arm that will work in a rear steer setup. I have slight reservations about the pin size as well which is the same as a stock Galaxie pin but slightly shorter.

This is the Granada spindle, which is what I'm leaning towards at this point. It has the bigger spindle pin and a built in steering arm. I already have a brake kit that can be adapted to fit which will save me quite a bit of money.

I am going to go with a adjustable upper control arm with parts souced from SPC. I plan on fabricating a lower control arm that will be 1 to 2.5 inches longer then stock to move the wheel out and make up for the wheel offset.

I spent a few nights out in the garage measuring and mocking up my existing suspension, boy there is a lot of room for improvement!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts