Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
1 What size is that front front sway bar? 2 And how wide? 3 And where to get it? 4 How did you align the LCA bolts? On the pass side my bolts don't line up well. I can get the bolts in the Fatman control arm but I can see that is not perfect. You ran the Fatman arms that way with no problem? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
1 What size is that front front sway bar? 2 And how wide? 3 And where to get it? 4 How did you align the LCA bolts? On the pass side my bolts don't line up well. I can get the bolts in the Fatman control arm but I can see that is not perfect. You ran the Fatman arms that way with no problem? Thank you for your time.
The sway bar I am currently running is a 1 3/8 solid bar. The bar is 37 1/2 inches long. you can get this stuff form stock car parts shops or even ebay pretty reasonable.
When I bolted the fatman arms in I just forced them in, didn't really think much of it. I don't think the control arm can line up perfectly because the front bolt is maybe 1/4 of an inch off due to the straight bolt setup. When I installed my arms I went to the rare parts setup on the front control arm mounts. I used a old steering shaft and sleeves to see how far out of wack the holes were. I used a dremel to open up the rear control arm mount. I welded a thick washer over elongated holes, I also added the second shear for each bolt which I wanted to do anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
question about the offset shaft nut. You drilled out forward end to 3/4 and used 3/4 grade 8 bolt, 8 inches long. The bushing on the bolt is how long and for what purpose. Also is there a filler type bushing fabbed for inside tube of the nut?for additional support so end of tube isn't flexing?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
question about the offset shaft nut. You drilled out forward end to 3/4 and used 3/4 grade 8 bolt, 8 inches long. The bushing on the bolt is how long and for what purpose. Also is there a filler type bushing fabbed for inside tube of the nut?for additional support so end of tube isn't flexing?
Hello,
I don't remember the exact measurements. The forward side was drilled larger than 3/4 and a bronze sleeve was pressed in. Same process for the other side. It should be noted that the "correct" position for the control arm pivot is not the center of the nut. I don't use this setup anymore because it binds the control arm bushings and adds "pro dive opposite of anti-dive" to the suspension. probably not critical to most people.

This photo compares the straight bolt VS Rare Parts setup. You can see with the Rare Parts setup the bolt is offset

I took it a step further and added a second shear and aligned the control arm bolts to achieve close to zero binding.>:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thx for the info, we'll use bearing type material for bushing in end of nut. Not going to worry about offsetting the bolt. This will be street only and just looking for a safe combo. The worn offsets caused serious handling under braking and was unpredictable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thx for the info, we'll use bearing type material for bushing in end of nut. Not going to worry about offsetting the bolt. This will be street only and just looking for a safe combo. The worn offsets caused serious handling under braking and was unpredictable.
Agreed, it also makes alignments fun! :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I had my car on the scales again. was hoping for a bit more dramatic results but it is getting lighter. Keep in mind these weights are with a 190 lb driver.
------2015 2017 dif
total 4066 3996 -70
front 2227 2096 -131
rear 1839 1900 +61
left 2107 2052 -55
right 1959 1944 -15
cross 1982 48.7% 1954 / 48.9% -.2%
F/R 2096 / 52.45 %

Fiberglass Galaxie parts

part Original Rep Savings Notes
hood 58 24.5 33.5 SuedeSpeed.com standard weight could build lighter
trunk 55? 30 ?25 Crites Trunk
Fbumper 55 10 45 Crites bumper and brackets

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks for taking a look. I'm not very happy with photobucket right now. I have been hosting the photos there for years and now they want a bunch of money to continue to do so. The forum won't let me go back and edit the links either. here is a link to the album for now. Galaxie by JohnnySuede23 | Photobucket I may move it somewhere else. My facebook page can be reached at SuedeSpeed.com I tend to update that more often.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Were back! After the photobucket disaster I lost interest in keeping the forums updated. Found a decent way to host pictures.. on to the fun stuff.

Galaxies are not the lightest cars, You probably won't see it on a list of best autocross platforms. To continue to improve performance the car needed to go on a serious diet. It didn't take long to find places to shave a few pounds.

which brings me to my new found love/hate of composites. I built a hood which resulted in a loss of 25 lbs, then a front bumper and brackets, which was another 45 lbs savings. And I bought a trunk lid which was around 20 lbs savings.

We managed to win the Minnesota Autosports Club CAMT championship in 2017. I made it out to Goodguys in Des Moines, IA to see how it is done on a national level. All in all a good year. I plan on running the car in 2018 as is and hoping to get my other projects done for 2019.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts