Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I have basic mechanic skills.) I have a 1964 Ford Galaxie500, 352 V8, 4 doors. I want to convert my GENerator to an Alternator. I have bought an Alternator from O'Rileys I don't know the specs to the Alternator, they just looked up my car make and model and gave it to me. I also bought 2VR2 Regulator. They told me I'm going to have to change all the light bulbs in my car and that I may be needing to replace/change that black star looking thing(1st image)for it to work. I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm going to have to do but I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. Any and all help is appreciated,and if anybody has like a wiring diagram/blueprint too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
i see no reason why you have to replace all light bulbs in car
your not converting a 6Volt system to 12Volt system..

hard to tell from picture
but if if new alternator has a V groove pulley (star looking thingy)
then there is no need to switch pulley's

should just bolt right in place of generator...

heres a wiring diagram for a later year galaxie

alternator with external voltage regulator...
https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2015/05/15/21/21/pic-2233349723458076345-1600x1200.jpeg

make sure you have a working idiot light/battery light in dash...
if bulb is broken alternator/regulator will will not sense voltage , and will not charge...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Take a look at MAD Electric.com. He knows what alternators are correct for your application, has any and all additional parts you might need, is a true expert and supplies multiple wiring diagrams depending on how far you want to take the project. I completely rewired my 60 Galaxie motor box with his diagrams and parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
looks pretty much like a direct replacement/bolt in
alternator and voltage regulator...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts