Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been stumbling on interesting little details about our cars. I have this picture handy, so I figure I should share this particular one. I have four original front bumpers from 1964 Galaxies, and I've learned there are two distinct designs. One had additional ears above and below the license plate, and an extra hole in the lower tab on both sides. Dennis Carpenter is reproducing the latter, but not the prior. It's interesting that the extra ears and holes are not used in the typical installation (as far as I can tell), and has no affect on bumper guards. The standard part number for these bumpers is C4AZ-17757-B, but perhaps we are looking at -A and -B...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Stamped different plants??

Perhaps there was a couple of different vendors for some of the parts.

I know that Ford manufactured a great deal of their stuff, but perhaps
some of it bought out.

GM used 3 different suppliers for their frames ("A" body cars that I am aware of for sure), and all three of those vendors frames had differences.
Same part numbers, different manufacturers.

This also applies to the frames in my 59 Chev----several different frames all with the same part number.
There were at least two styles of the front bumper valances----and one is much more difficult to install-----same part number.

In the late 50s, early 60s---Chevrolet also used two different sets of bumpers----California cars got one piece "California" bumpers and the rest of the cars got the standard 3-piece bumpers.

Weird

1 - 2 of 2 Posts