Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for feedback from any member who has added (or updated) a shroud on their 1964 Gal, ; which one did you use (Ford engineering # is fine), how about bracketry, etc... how clean does it look? And lastly, how well does it work for ya? (maybe ya got pics you can post?) Lastly, has anyone tried retrofitting a Crites shroud on to a stock '64 rad? They look too narrow, but at least it mounts up and down ....so we're in the right ball park. I've looked thru past posts here and on other forums, but still looking for a definitive direction.
Thanks for any help ! Norm

Background: My Gal is a 390 non-a/c 4spd car that I wish to upgrade from the ole 4 blader non-shroud, to something 'cooler'. Even though I live in a milder climate, we do get our share of hot days, and I'd like to be ready for that before summer hits. (this is the car's 1st summer with me as owner).
I have the fan and clutch and spacer issue worked out --even have a 'donor' fan I can bring along when I go jy'ing this spring. The original 1964 metal shrouds (and even the 'glass repops and '65-66) look a bit skimpy to me (especially for what they bring!), and yes I realize back then a shroud was probably more of an after-thought, lol. Obviously I'm not putzing with a concours car, nor is this a weekend 'warrior' --just a joy rider.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 1964 Gal fan shroud project *bone yarding update*

Thursday 3/15 I took advantage of our May-like temps and visited my fav all-Ford yard called Joes Auto Sales nearing Hastings, MN.
I spent an hour in 2 truck trailers brimming with fan blades, shrouds and rads, wow! Anyways, I think I may have found a likely suspect: 1978ish Granada 302 which measures 23~" x 19~" with a 20" blade opening, just perfect for the C6ME 19" blade I already had. I will be doing a total mock-up soon, and once that pans out, I can apprise the group, and supply p/n's, and/or eng. numbers, photos, etc.
About Joe's: I've attached some pics of his fan trailers. This is an older yard, mind you (and can send some "rustic" pics lol)..... but, over the years he and his wife organized and filled truck trailers with what looks like 100s of car's worth of parts, most are pretty well shielded from the ravages of time, while things like dozens of bumper jack parts, brackets, frame stand-offs and so forth, are out in the open, ugh.
Joe will ship out of state and overseas, his prices seem fair, and he's amicable enough to allow you to walk around freely and pull stuff after you 'check-in' at the main building. Holler for his phone # and/or e-mail address. No website, sorry!

I'm looking for feedback from any member who has added (or updated) a shroud on their 1964 Gal, ; which one did you use (Ford engineering # is fine), how about bracketry, etc... how clean does it look? And lastly, how well does it work for ya? (maybe ya got pics you can post?) Lastly, has anyone tried retrofitting a Crites shroud on to a stock '64 rad? They look too narrow, but at least it mounts up and down ....so we're in the right ball park. I've looked thru past posts here and on other forums, but still looking for a definitive direction.
Thanks for any help ! Norm

Background: My Gal is a 390 non-a/c 4spd car that I wish to upgrade from the ole 4 blader non-shroud, to something 'cooler'. Even though I live in a milder climate, we do get our share of hot days, and I'd like to be ready for that before summer hits. (this is the car's 1st summer with me as owner).
I have the fan and clutch and spacer issue worked out --even have a 'donor' fan I can bring along when I go jy'ing this spring. The original 1964 metal shrouds (and even the 'glass repops and '65-66) look a bit skimpy to me (especially for what they bring!), and yes I realize back then a shroud was probably more of an after-thought, lol. Obviously I'm not putzing with a concours car, nor is this a weekend 'warrior' --just a joy rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
In the early 80's, I bought a 64 Galaxie 4 dr sedan with a 352 with A/C mainly for the motor. I stripped everthing I could off that car before I junked it.

I'm so glad I stripped the fan shroud.

I still have the A/C setup, but it's getting close to trash time.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

Thursday 3/15 I took advantage of our May-like temps and visited my fav all-Ford yard called Joes Auto Sales nearing Hastings, MN.
Hey Norm,
Noticed that you first posted back on March 7, 2012, and no one has yet responded.

Thought that I'd take the opportunity to welcome you to FMF, and say hello. I'm a fellow 64 Galaxie caretaker.

Will be watching for your findings, even though Ms. American 3.14159 won't be getting a shroud.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

JC

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hey Norm,
Noticed that you first posted back on March 7, 2012, and no one has yet responded.

Thought that I'd take the opportunity to welcome you to FMF, and say hello. I'm a fellow 64 Galaxie caretaker.

Will be watching for your findings, even though Ms. American 3.14159 won't be getting a shroud.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

JC
Hey JC,
Thanks much for the warm welcome! Yes, I have enjoyed reading your posts, and the chuckles that sometimes followed, so thank YOU, keep it up! :)
ps: I like the 'caretaker' label !

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's quite a few fan shrouds there! Man, if you could find one there that would fit my 70 galaxie with 390 I would pay you for it, if you could pick it up! I really need one, the one I have on my car is all cracked and chunks of it are broken off the top.
Call Joe's at: 651 437-6787 M-F 8-12 and 2-5pm. We are 2 hrs time difference to you. If you get his vm, leave a message and he will call ya back. I'd say it's easier to deal direct, A) he probably already has cardboard boxes to more easily ship it, plus B) I may not get back there again for a while.
If you can find and write down your shroud's engineering number, ie; something like "D0AE-_" (one of a few letters at the end) embossed on your shroud, it'll help get the right one. A lot of his shrouds have yellow j-y "pen" writing on them -but not all.
You can mention me if you want, not sure that'll get ya any faster service tho, haha.
Let us know how it goes !

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a 68 with a 390 and had the same problem...no fan shroud and couldnt find one....i bought a universal chrome one from summit.....easy to install , works like a charm and looks good too....look at my pics in the post pics of your galaxie forum..

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

Hey JC, thanks much for the warm welcome!
Hey Norm,
Didn't notice that you had already posted other posts, and was kind of feeling a little guilty that no one was responding to this thread. But welcome anyway.

Yes, I have enjoyed reading your posts, and the chuckles that sometimes followed, so thank YOU, keep it up! :)
Am coming up to a time when there will be more posts from here, as the time to again start doing some serious work on Ms. American is fast approaching.

The reason for this is that next Wednesday, March 21, 2012 is scheduled to hopefully be the day that Lorrie Van Haul's mighty 225 Slant Six Engine will be fired up for the first time since September 3, 1996.

Lorrie, a 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van, has been in refurbishment mode since September of 2009, and she is just about finished.

She is presently in the best shape she has been in since coming to live with me in 1975.

She is scheduled to replace Ms. American 3.14159 as a daily driver, making it possible to start doing all the stuff necessary to put Ms. American back into shape.

Among the items to be done to Ms. American:
The rebuild of the Steering System.
The installation of the rebuilt proper&correct Autolite Carburetor.
The rebuild and installation of her ORIGINAL Water Pump.
The installation of the proper&correct Heater Hoses.
The hooking up of the completely rebuilt Heater/Defroster Unit.
The rebuild and installation of her ORIGINAL Damper.
The installation of insulation on the ceiling of the passenger compartment.
The installation of a NEW Headliner which is on site.
The fixing of the Rain Gutters around the edge of the Roof.
The fixing of the Window Escapements so that all the Windows once again work properly.
The fixing of the Hood Hinges.
And maybe even an attempt to do some body work such as fixing some small rust holes.

ps: I like the 'caretaker' label !
Some people use the term "owner", but I'm not sure I "own" Ms. American. She is pretty independent. She mostly just lets me come along for the ride in exchange for keeping her running! :)

Anyway, hope your fan shroud project turns out for you.

Take it easy.

JC

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 68 with a 390 and had the same problem...no fan shroud and couldnt find one....i bought a universal chrome one from summit.....easy to install , works like a charm and looks good too....look at my pics in the post pics of your galaxie forum..
Cool, I checked your pics out, way to go getting your motor back in -nice feeling, eh?
Keep sending in pics as you go !

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hey Norm,
Didn't notice that you had already posted other posts, and was kind of feeling a little guilty that no one was responding to this thread. But welcome anyway.

No worry there, as I am not a 'big splash' type person at a party, which, in a way, is what this forum is like. I tend to come in low key, make some chit-chat around the outer perimeter of the room, then if the groove is there, I get more outgoing, lol.

Am coming up to a time when there will be more posts from here, as the time to again start doing some serious work on Ms. American is fast approaching.

The reason for this is that next Wednesday, March 21, 2012 is scheduled to hopefully be the day that Lorrie Van Haul's mighty 225 Slant Six Engine will be fired up for the first time since September 3, 1996.

Lorrie, a 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van, has been in refurbishment mode since September of 2009, and she is just about finished.
I love the double entendre on the name Lorrie, lol. very clever !

She is presently in the best shape she has been in since coming to live with me in 1975.

She is scheduled to replace Ms. American 3.14159 as a daily driver, making it possible to start doing all the stuff necessary to put Ms. American back into shape.

Among the items to be done to Ms. American:
The rebuild of the Steering System.
The installation of the rebuilt proper&correct Autolite Carburetor.
The rebuild and installation of her ORIGINAL Water Pump.
The installation of the proper&correct Heater Hoses.
The hooking up of the completely rebuilt Heater/Defroster Unit.
The rebuild and installation of her ORIGINAL Damper.
The installation of insulation on the ceiling of the passenger compartment.
The installation of a NEW Headliner which is on site.
The fixing of the Rain Gutters around the edge of the Roof.
The fixing of the Window Escapements so that all the Windows once again work properly.
The fixing of the Hood Hinges.
And maybe even an attempt to do some body work such as fixing some small rust holes.
Kudos to you on your 'old world' restoration ethics! Being a former Ford parts guy, I do like to stick to some ethics, but I confess sometimes I install part that fits more because of convenience over 'correctness', shh! lol
Some people use the term "owner", but I'm not sure I "own" Ms. American. She is pretty independent. She mostly just lets me come along for the ride in exchange for keeping her running! :)

Anyway, hope your fan shroud project turns out for you.
I will post progress of that and lots of other 'punch list' items, lol.

Take it easy. You too !

JC

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Norm, former Ford Parts guy?

For a dealership or a Ford Parts Depot?

I worked in the Teterboro, NJ, Ford parts depot for five years in the 60's as a "picker/packer".

Made friends with a fellow worker, Larry, met his sister Linda, and this year, Linda and I celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cool, I checked your pics out, way to go getting your motor back in -nice feeling, eh?
Keep sending in pics as you go !
will do...just dont want to overwhelm everybody....been working on the drivetrain for almost 2 years so , yes, nice feeling if i ever get done...now i need a flexplate and my radiator has 2 holes in it....allways something

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Norm, former Ford Parts guy?

For a dealership or a Ford Parts Depot?

I worked in the Teterboro, NJ, Ford parts depot for five years in the 60's as a "picker/packer".

Made friends with a fellow worker, Larry, met his sister Linda, and this year, Linda and I celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary.
Hi Jerry, How cool is that! Sounds like a Hallmark tv-movie to me! Congrats to you both.:)

I was a Ford (dealer) parts manager for a few decades, in several stores. Started out in western PA, and there in the mid/late 80s we always took our PIPP returns back ourselves. So a few of the Detroit PDC dock guys would take us on the 'nickel' tour of the place. My guys and I were always treated really warm there, and it gave us a look into how things worked from that perspective. Back then you could still call up a PDC and actually have a guy check a part (in case it was mislabeled, etc). Ahh, the old days, eh? (not really thaat long ago tho) lol

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hi Jerry, How cool is that! Sounds like a Hallmark tv-movie to me! Congrats to you both.:)

I was a Ford (dealer) parts manager for a few decades, in several stores. Started out in western PA, and there in the mid/late 80s we always took our PIPP returns back ourselves. So a few of the Detroit PDC dock guys would take us on the 'nickel' tour of the place. My guys and I were always treated really warm there, and it gave us a look into how things worked from that perspective. Back then you could still call up a PDC and actually have a guy check a part (in case it was mislabeled, etc). Ahh, the old days, eh? (not really thaat long ago tho) lol
When I think of the dealer return parts that went into the trash.........

My future father/in/law (RIP) also worked at the parts depot.

One day he says to me, you have a 64 Ford, right? Yes, I did.

Then he says, here, take these hubcaps. They're just going to trash them anyway.

Set of four 64 500XL caps in unopened boxes.

Can't even imagine the "stuff" that went into the railroad box cars. (They had a railroad spur into the depot. Lot's of dealer return merchandise went out that way.)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I think of the dealer return parts that went into the trash.........

My future father/in/law (RIP) also worked at the parts depot.

One day he says to me, you have a 64 Ford, right? Yes, I did.

Then he says, here, take these hubcaps. They're just going to trash them anyway.

Set of four 64 500XL caps in unopened boxes.

Can't even imagine the "stuff" that went into the railroad box cars. (They had a railroad spur into the depot. Lot's of dealer return merchandise went out that way.)
I was told about the rarities that were tossed by some of the older PDC guys while watching my 'stuff' being processed after off-loading, but.... I came along too late ...nobody cared much about what got thrown out in my 'era' (1975 and later Pinto, Must II, Granada, etc, etc). Then a few yrs later, after going to big swap meets like the spring Columbus show in the early 80s, I started seeing all that so-called thrown-out 'stuff', lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts