Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I'm new to the forums although I've spent a good amount of time using you guys as a resource :bow:

I am restoring a 1964 Galaxie Z-code 390 to original factory specs, trying to get back to original and going to remove the high performance 390 (circa 1968) that is currently in my car. I have almost all of the parts for the '64 390 figured out except for the belts & pulleys. The car that donated the 390 had 5 pulleys with A/C, seen below (crankshaft has 3 belts, fan has 2 belts, all others have 1 belt, alternator pulley not visible).

My car has power steering, but not A/C. What can I reuse, and what do I need to purchase/trade away? The guy threw in a few extra pulleys and removed the ones on the engine before we plucked the engine out of the car, so I have a pile of pulleys. I figure anyone with an unmolested 390 that has power steering and lacks A/C probably knows. Then the next question is going to be what should the belt configuration be...Thanks gang!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I'll try. From your picture that engine had A/C. So the power steering pulley, water pump pulley, crank pulley, generator/ alternator pulley and the generator/ alternator bracket are wrong for a non-A/C car. For a non-A/C car it would have had a double crank pulley, a single water pump pulley, a single generator/ alternator pulley and a power steering pulley that is more flat than dished. You can run what you have but it won't be correct for a non-A/C car. Also need a better picture of the Alternator/generator side to tell you what bracket you need there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts