Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the new upholstery from Dearborne May 31, and after a few issues with them not getting the correct info. They ordered the upholstery from Distinctive Industries. FYI Dearborne did not show the upholstery available. After a call to Distinctive they advised they did make it, gave me the part #s, special order. Recieved it July 9th, getting it installed this week. So far it looks great. Will post photos when finished. It was much cheaper then buying the material else where and having them made.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They told me they only sell through their distributors, ie Dearborne Classics. But you can call/email about if they make it for your car. If so they will get you the part numbers and you can order it through Dearborne or any of Distinctive's distributors.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did you install the upholstery yourseld or someone else? I would really like to have mine done, but can't justify the cost of material then double that to pay and have someone put it on. curious of how hard a job it is and issues you had?

Kevin

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having a local shop put the seat covers on, but I have been there almost everyday and watched alot of what they did. My car only has 57K and had little usage in back seat. Rear seat frame/structure was like new except for worn upholstery, so only had to put on covers, apply some steam for wrinkles. Looks good. Front seat frame was good, used some foam between springs for some more support at back of seat. Rebuilt all the foam,fabric etc under the upholstery. The aluminum trim is fastened to two plastic moldings at the back corners of the seat that were in many pieces. Went to a local junk yard and checked several 4 door cars, including a 64 Merc. Finally found two that were cracked but in one piece. Applied a little epoxy to the rear of the molding to reenforce the cracked area. The junk yard guy believed the parts from a 64 merc, 61-64 Galaxie or fairlane would be the same. Should be done sometime this week. Will post pictures of the finished product installed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Went to the distinctive Industries web site, and to my suprise they don't bother to make uholstery for a 61. It's tough being the redheaded stepchild.......
Mike

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Seat pics
First pic looks more turquoise than blue. Brought back memories.

That's the interior shade my Galaxie 500 convert had before I did the 500XL clone project to black buckets.

Sorry I never took a "before" and "after" picture, but in the 80's, cameras and picture taking were not like it is today.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 63 1/2 has the Vinyl/Fabric bench. I only found 1 company that makes it, and was quoted $995.00 just for the covers. I ended up buying the material from SMS Auto Fabrics (only company that still makes alot of the fabrics/vinyls) and then had a local shop make them. The whole job cost me less than $700.00

If you can find a good local upholstery shop they can be alot cheaper, and often do even better work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts