Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being my first car, I've had my Galaxie for 15 years now. I honestly NEVER knew there were back up lights in the center of the brake lights. I got new bulbs in there, made sure the fuse was fine and they still don't work. Wiring looks fine, so I think it is the switch. I have found one on Amazon - "Standard Motor Products Neutral/Backup Switch" that seems to be the right part. I just have no idea where this part is. No luck from searching around online. As a newbie to DIY repairs, I'd love some help on this. Pictures are preferable if you can help me pinpoint this part. I've seen a post where someone said, "On a 3 on the tree the switch is mounted on the column down by the steering box where the linkage arms are". Is that right? If so, I am still a bit unfamiliar with what the steering box and linkage arms look like. Thanks for the help! Pic of her is included!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
First make sure the backup light bulbs are in their sockets, find the wire to them, apply some voltage to it and see if the circuit is any good. If the lights come on, here is a maintenance operation from the FSM and a link that tells how to adjust the switch. Or you could loosen it, set the shifter in R and slide the switch around until the lights come on.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/att...1360735405-new-owner-few-problems-nss-adj.jpg

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/500891-neutral-switch.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks galax-z and Puttster! Definitely helped. I will check it out this evening and see what I can do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...so further investigation revealed that I don't have a switch there at all. The column is completely bare in that area. I see the opening there, but there is nothing around it. I can send a pic if I need to. Could there be another location of the switch? A friend of a friend said it "might be a couple of wires on top of the transmission where the shifter is." Any idea on that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it is a Cruise-O-Matic. Automatic transmission. Gear selector up near the steering wheel. Here is the picture of the bottom of the steering column. Looks pretty obvious where the neutral switch/backup switch should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was in park. Looks as if the entire housing for the switch and the arm that triggers it has been removed. Empty screw holes and all. I think you guys have definitely helped me narrow it down. I'll post here and let you all know what I end up doing. Hopefully, I can find all the parts and get it fixed up. Might head out to a salvage yard and see what I can find!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
It was in park. Looks as if the entire housing for the switch and the arm that triggers it has been removed. Empty screw holes and all. I think you guys have definitely helped me narrow it down. I'll post here and let you all know what I end up doing. Hopefully, I can find all the parts and get it fixed up. Might head out to a salvage yard and see what I can find!
Hey Mr. A,
If the Shift Lever is on the Steering Wheel Column, it could be that the Switch is in the Engine Compartment where the Linkage to the Transmission is located. On Ms. American, who is a 1964 Galaxie, but with a Three Speed Manual Transmission, the Back Up Light Switch is activated by the Lever that has the Reverse/Second Gear linkage attached to it, and that is in the Engine Compartment near the Steering Column.

This might not be relevant for an Automatic Transmission though.

Just saying that might be a place to look for the switch. Find the link to the Transmission. It MIGHT have a lever that actuates the switch.

JC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mr. A,
If the Shift Lever is on the Steering Wheel Column, it could be that the Switch is in the Engine Compartment where the Linkage to the Transmission is located. On Ms. American, who is a 1964 Galaxie, but with a Three Speed Manual Transmission, the Back Up Light Switch is activated by the Lever that has the Reverse/Second Gear linkage attached to it, and that is in the Engine Compartment near the Steering Column.

This might not be relevant for an Automatic Transmission though.

Just saying that might be a place to look for the switch. Find the link to the Transmission. It MIGHT have a lever that actuates the switch.

JC
Thanks for the info! I will check soon and see if it is there or not. Sounds like it could be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm have the same problem with mine 65 but they a column with the shifter but the shifter is broke off. But they have a floor shifter. They both are autos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts