Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a 64' Galaxie xl500, and it has a problem with the brakes, well there are none. The pedal is hard and the one line that comes out of the master cylinder broke while trying to loosen the line. I have messed with brakes on newer cars but never with something like this. If anyone can help get this working again it will be apperciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the pedal being hard and the brake line being broken sounds a little strange.

you may wanna check the master cylinder to start, then reconnect/fix the line, check for leaking wheel cylinders, then bleed

L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mistyped that, after the line broke the pedal wasn't hard anymore. Does that line have to be made or can it be purchased? I checked a couple places and nobody had it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
take the line off the master cylinder and from the splitter down by the gearbox, be careful when removing the line as they can strip really easily. Go to the store - autozone, kragen anyone should have it, its just a brake line. autozone will usually let you go back and find the one you need.

Make sure there is still brake fluid in the master cylinder, if there is none it will need to be bled, reconnect the line and bleed the system

L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped that line out and now I found a broken plastic piece that screws into the booster and connects to the vacuum line. Do you know where I can find this part?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It don't screw in... I mean it shouldn't screw in. If you're talking about the piece the vacuum hose fit's onto that's on the booster.
Wrecking yards have them, and the dealer carries them, but not for something as old as 1964 I think... Never know though. Call them and ask.

If the old piece is still in the booster, remove it and be sure to get it out somehow. You want nothing in there that may puncture the booster.

FE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually this one screws in, I thought it would be a gromet style but nope it looks a litttle bigger than 1/2" npt. I already removed the old one and I know that it has a check valve but cant seem to find one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That's odd... Hit up the old timers to find out if there is a retro fit grommet and valve for it.

FE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts