Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a complete uncharged A/C system in my car, (and probably not set up exactly right). The receiver is inside the engine compartment, hanging/dangling around the lower control arm. I am going to move it to either between the grill and radiator support, or to inside the engine compartment near where the fender mounted power steering reservoir is located. Can anyone post a diagram/pictures as to they system is supposed to be set up? I have the shop manual but it doesn't really show where the received is normally located, or how it is plumbed through the radiator support. I'm also curious if there should be a bracket for the receiver. I tried google images but couldn't find what I needed.

Also, just thinking ahead. Is this system totally obsolete? If the compressor and other parts are, should I just remove them now? I've checked out the prices of new vintage air systems, and they are $$$$. Not in the current budget......

·
Registered
63 convertable
651 Posts
depends on whats under the dash. could be factory installed. that might be worth restoring. othewise junk it and start over. pics?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've probably got a drawing of what you want although it would be for a 1963 Galaxie. There are different configurations depending on which engine you have so please let me know which one that is. If you can get hold of the 1963 (or better yet, 1964) Ford Electrical Assembly Manual which is reproduced by Jim Osborn, that's where it is.

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have the Electrical Assembly manual somewhere. I'll take a look.

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been told its a 390 engine, but haven't measured the stroke.

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That wouldn't surprise me, this car is a bit of a mutt. So don't feel guilty upgrading to more modern.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My scanner is playing up and the electrical assembly manual is hard to scan at the best of times because of its size - so I'm making excuses for the poor quality of the attachments. If you do have the electrical assembly manual, pretty much all you were asking about is in there. Hope you have it. Good luck!
Scan.jpeg
Scan.jpeg
Scan 1.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts