Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum so let's see how this goes... I have 64 Galaxie 500XL convertible, but am missing the rear seat bottom. Does any one know what seats will fit if I can't find one for a Galaxie? There is a local junk with a 69 Lincoln continental convertible that has the seat bottom still in it, will this seat frame fit my car??? HELP!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about any seats from other 60's convertible makes ie. hate to say it but an Impala, or such?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Two door hardtop seat is too wide.

When I took the seats out of a two door 1964 500XL hardtop and had the seatcovers refitted for my 1964 Galaxie 500 convertible, they had to be trimmed to fit the narrower convertible seat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trimmed??? The hadtop seats can be used if trimmed?, how much would they be trimmed as I do have a hardtop parts car that still has the setas in it. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yes, they can be used, but you don't get a 100% factory look when you're done. I had it done back in the 70s, and, over the years, I've placed the car in many shows. I've never heard anyone comment about the rear seats "not being 100% factory".

Unless you're a purist, it looks fine, but my car's a driver, not a show car. Some vinyl pieces had to be replaced, but since my interior is black, color matching was not an issue.

I'll take a closer look at the seat tonight after work.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Like I said these guys (gals) can make your restoration a bit easier! Congrats on the Headers for your car! I would have bid but I am holding out for ceramic coated ones.
Gary - Apple Valley

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
bluexl

Here's what it looks like they did. (Somewhat hard to explain.)

They narrowed the middle section between the clamshell seats. I don't know why, but this required them to replace the vinyl piece that rests under your kneecaps when sitting. (Both sides had to be replaced.)

The only two items that make the car look non-stock:

1) the black vinyl used had a different grain
2) as you're sitting, the inner seam on the replacement vinyl piece doesn't quite match the seam on the left where it meats the edge of the seat. (It's very hard to explain, and I can take a picture and send it to you if you wish.)

Otherwise, it looks perfect.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
bluexl

PM me with your email address.

My daughter took some pictures yesterday. (It's her digital camera.) When she gets a chance, she will email them to me at work and I will forward them to you.

I haven't seen them yet, but I think that the direct sunlight may have made the different grain pattern a lot more noticeable than it really is (in person).

We'll see.

But, if the correct vinyl had been available, you'd have a very difficult time telling that this was a hardtop/convertible conversion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jerrym3 on 5/1/06 9:25pm ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts