Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping my Hurst shifter & linkages for an OEM Ford shifter & linkages in my 1964 Top Loader Galaxie 500 (bench seat). Greg Donahue told me that the distance from the floor to the ball should be 14" on the 1964, but all I can find is 12" shift levers (supposedly these work on a 1960-1963 Galaxie). I am doing a numbers-matching restoration so this is an important detail that I'd like to get correct.

Can someone with an original 1964 bench seat shift lever please confirm the correct distance being either 12" or 14"?

Thank you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Depends on where/what GD is calling 'floor', right?

I measured my old factory shifter for ya, and....from bottom of ball to the weld at the bottom of stick = 14". And yes, mine is a '64 bench seat 4spd car.

Now, mounted back in the car, and a boot back on it, yep, I could see 12".

HTH ? Norm

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the solution thanks to an eBay user who put in a lot of leg work and took this picture.

1963 Galaxie bench seat lever is 12" (may also be correct for 1960-1962, not confirmed though)
1964 Galaxie bench seat lever is 14" (specific to 1964 only)

·
Registered
124 Posts
guess it all depends if you want it exact and/or how long your arms are. Personally I'd keep the Hurst. There is a reason Hurst made their shifters to begin with and why most manufacturers went that way. Just ask Ronnie Sox (if you could).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guess it all depends if you want it exact and/or how long your arms are. Personally I'd keep the Hurst. There is a reason Hurst made their shifters to begin with and why most manufacturers went that way. Just ask Ronnie Sox (if you could).
Completely understand this point. I'll be keeping the Hurst shifter as most guys would prefer that installed anyway. But in this case, I am restoring the car to 100% factory original specs, so the original shifter is being reinstalled. At the very least, the shifter won't be worn out like most of them are now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts