Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am brand new to this site but need your help. I have a family member with 1964 Galaxie R code he has had this car for 50 years. About 8 years ago it was completely restored and now he is ill and the car must go. My question is what do you think is the best venue to sell this car? Your thoughts?

There are a few other cars that we need to sell as well 70 mustang big block air car (California interior), 61 Lincoln convertible

·
Registered
78 Posts
Consider engaging a high-dollar auction house, someone like Barrett Jackson or similar, there are loads on the internet, but choose wisely. They will guide you to an outcome that is probably quite painless but may not realise the absolute full $ value of your car collection as they will take a cut.

However, attempting to do it yourself will leave you open to lots of unsolicited offers to 'help' you, or 'take them off your hands' or find some way to dupe your dad out of the value of the cars. It will require some caution and a thick skin. These offers of help will come from all quarters - local and distance, known and unknown. Some will be legitimate, some won't have your best interests in mind, so be cautious and double-check the information you're given.

This forum is a good site to share some photos of the Galaxie for a valuation, and try www.428cobrajet.org forum for a valuation on the Mustang, just be careful divulging your contact details and def no home address. Ask for public responses only, be wary of 'direct messages'....

Good luck - sorry to hear about your dad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Consider engaging a high-dollar auction house, someone like Barrett Jackson or similar, there are loads on the internet, but choose wisely. They will guide you to an outcome that is probably quite painless but may not realise the absolute full $ value of your car collection as they will take a cut.

However, attempting to do it yourself will leave you open to lots of unsolicited offers to 'help' you, or 'take them off your hands' or find some way to dupe your dad out of the value of the cars. It will require some caution and a thick skin. These offers of help will come from all quarters - local and distance, known and unknown. Some will be legitimate, some won't have your best interests in mind, so be cautious and double-check the information you're given.

This forum is a good site to share some photos of the Galaxie for a valuation, and try www.428cobrajet.org forum for a valuation on the Mustang, just be careful divulging your contact details and def no home address. Ask for public responses only, be wary of 'direct messages'....

Good luck - sorry to hear about your dad.
Thank you for the advice... I am currently in the process of getting details and photos

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have doubts about an auction being worthwhile. The sales commissions are high for both seller and buyer. Add in the transportation costs to get the cars to the venue and it seems a private sale makes a lot of sense. True, you have to take calls from people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree on an auction house not being worth it.

Hemmings is your friend here. Very little unsolicited emails, offers, or contacts from there, and only serious car enthusiasts really visit there and search specifically for what they are looking for. I bought two cars off of Hemmings and listed one of mine, excellent transactions all around.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?q=1964+Galaxie

There is also Bringatrailer.com, but they are getting away from fixed prices for vehicles and are pushing auctions with no reserve. A bit dicey for cars where there isn't a strong market. I sold a car on there and lost a bit overall.

https://bringatrailer.com/

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree on an auction house not being worth it.

Hemmings is your friend here. Very little unsolicited emails, offers, or contacts from there, and only serious car enthusiasts really visit there and search specifically for what they are looking for. I bought two cars off of Hemmings and listed one of mine, excellent transactions all around.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?q=1964+Galaxie

There is also Bringatrailer.com, but they are getting away from fixed prices for vehicles and are pushing auctions with no reserve. A bit dicey for cars where there isn't a strong market. I sold a car on there and lost a bit overall.

https://bringatrailer.com/
Another possibility to consider is/are local car clubs. There are (depending on where you live) lots of Mustang clubs around, and many of those guys have an interest in other cars in the Ford family so you could get some help there. There is a Galaxie Club of America that you could look into. Also, you might get some value ideas from the classic car insurance companies. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it is with great sadness that my cousin has passed away... I have a few more details on a couple of the cars and in a few weeks I should have pictures as well. I appreciate the advice
The Galaxie is a 63 1/2 r code 427 4sp bench seat
The Mustang is 67 428 with A/C not a fast back California interior
Lincoln is 1961 4dr convertible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your cousin.

Have you looked into the Hagerty valuation tool? It values classic cars based on condition, option, and also market trends for that particular model. As a member I can pull detailed reports off of it. I can do it via VIN, too. Let me know if you want specific info on what the cars could be worth.

That R-code is roughly $144k in good condition. That car may best be suited for a high profile auction or consignment, if it's in good shape, as it may be a bit much for your average Hemming's shopper or car club enthusiast to be comfortable spending to a private seller. Range is from $118K (Fair) to $144K (Good) to $168K (Excellent). Concours is $224K. There are currently none for sale, as far as Hagerty can tell.

The 68' Mustang with 428 cobra jet is not listed there for some reason. Rough guess, for a "Good" car would be maybe $40-60K? I didn't see any for sale. If it's an umolested, original spec car, it could be worth more.

1960 Lincoln Continental 4dr convertible ranges from $16,300 (fair) to $31,6K (Good) to 56,9K (Excellent), Concours is $96K. Hagerty could not find any currently for sale.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have to disagree with Hagerty. A couple of recent Ebay sales on 63.5 R Code cars that looked good were around $60000. There is a dealer asking $85000 now for a nice one with no takers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree with your disagreement (that hurt my head). It seems way too high for that car. I'm not sure what trends they follow, but if very few of those actually sell or are even for sale, what do they base it off of? But..I would still go with an auction company on that one to optimize the market visibility and selling price (if a Reserve is applied to it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts