Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about ride height. My springs are junk, and I want to replace them. Going to make an order with Eaton. My question is, about what is stock height of the car. I know I want lowered springs, but I don’t know how much. Eaton lists theirs in reference to stock height.

As is with the worn springs and 225/70/15s my car measures 23.6” from ground to front wheel well open and 18.6” at the rear wheel. Right side is about a half inch lower each tire. The stance is pretty good. The stance is actually pretty good, if the springs werent totally wiped it would be great. I would like to maybe raise the rear slightly because getting tires in is a nightmare. And I want to go bigger than I have now on the rear tires.

If somebody with good springs and similar tire height could give me an idea of what the stock height from the ground is it would help me out.

I’m guessing I’m going to want 2” lowered springs in the front and an inch in the back. They also offer standard and heavy duty, I cant think of any reason I would want the HD springs.

measurements were taken in line with the center wheel cap, to where the bottom of the opening is on each wheel.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do you have a shop manual for your car?

The Factory shop manual (and maybe others, Chilton's etc) should have ride height (Ford calls it "curb" height) spec.

Or ask Google... :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually did consult google to an extent and found some numbers but I’m not 100% where they are taken. It lists height at 55.5” and ground clearance and 5.3”. I would guess it’s a straight edge off the roof and rocker both at the center of the door.

I also had a guy post on FB with new Eaton Detroit springs that are stock height, and lower than I would have guessed. So now with the tire size I want to run I’m thinking maybe stock height for the leafs and maybe 1 or 1.5” down in the front.

·
Registered
453 Posts
for what its worth my 63 convertable sits at 25 3/4 to center of fender opening in front, and 19 1/2 in rear

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything helps!

I guess maybe a better question would have been “who has bought Detroit springs and how was your ride height after”

·
Registered
215 Posts
63.5 for reference. I went with quite a bit more offset between front and rear, and have another 1/2" of offset in the tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts