Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really nice 1964 Ford Galaxie 2 door hardtop, and my kid loves it. But i dont want to take her riding in it except for short trips to the store since there are no seat belts.

What are the options of retrofitting seat belts? Im sure it has mounting points for 2 point lap belts right? And that is better than nothing. But is it possible to install three point belts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
66 Posts
I have a 1963 Galaxie 500 4-Door Hardtop with bench seats, and 2-point belts were installed by the previous owner. Seems to be a pretty straightforward install.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In the US, the 1964s had front seat belts for the driver and passenger only, 2 point. I don't think back seat belts were available from the factory, but maybe from dealers?

Pat

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stretching my memory to back in the day, I seem to remember that required front three point belts became law (to be installed, but not necessarily worn) in the U S in 1968 for the driver and front outboard passenger. These were poorly designed with the shoulder belt held in the stored position above the side windows by two clips. You had to unclip the shoulder belt and pull it across your chest and plug it in to a airline style recepticle that was separate from, but looked just like the lap belt recepticle. Front seat middle passengers and rear passengers had to make due with two piece lap belts. Front seat driver and passenger lap belts became law in 1965 (I think), but many cars were prepared for front and rear seat belts in earlier model years at the factory with reinforced and predrilled mounting positions ready to accept a dealer installed seatbelt kit. My guess as to retrofitting a 3 point system now is that it COULD be done, but it might be expensive to do as it might require removing the headliner and welding a reinforced mounting point to the roof, reinstalling your now modified headliner, repainting the roof as a result of the welding, rear seat passengers tripping over the seatbelt as they try to get in and out of the backseat, and it looking a bit "Heath Robinson" after you've installed it. So while it CAN be done, it will likely be expensive and you might not like the look of the finished product. Sorry if this sounds a little negative. How many years before your daughter can ride with just lap belts? Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
The Galaxie has such a large space between the passenger's head and the dash a shoulder belt is probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your inputs. I guess 2 point seat belts are the way to go, it feels like a lot of work welding reinforced mounting points in the roof.

I have the car in storage now but going to pick it up this weekend,hopefully it has the mounting points for the 2 point belts but that some previous owner just removed them.

My kid is 5 now, so she can probably ride with 2 point belts and a child seats pretty safe.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with extech. You'll have to remove the front seat and then roll the carpet back to find them, but I'll bet the threaded mounting holes are there. There should be four holes, but you can install three sets of belts if you want to by doubling up the use of the center holes. While you're looking, remove the rear seat bottom and I wouldn't be surprised if you found some mount holes behind it. There are lots of seat belt choices in style and colour to choose from. Remember, when you're installing them, to use a knife or other sharp blade, and not a drill bit to cut the carpet. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had the buckets out of my '63 today, and it looks like you maybe don't have to remove the front bench seat to find the probable location for front seatbelt anchor location. See if you can roll back the carpet between the front seat and the rear seats. Look for the mounts at the base of the driveshaft tunnel for the inboard location, and at the inner base of the framerail for the outboard location. Since my car is a fastback and yours is a two door hardtop there may be a difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
use a pencil type soldering iron to go from the bottom up to make the holes in the carpet. and yes, removal of front seat isnt needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,604 Posts
My '64 there is like an Eye hook screwed into the floor right behind the rear seat at the base of the hump almost for the inside belt and the other is along side the seat at the rear of it on the flat area not far from the scuff plate really. They had a hook setup on the end of the belts and a cotter pin to keep them from spreading open. I used huge washers and mounted belts out of an old van in the rear when my son was little so he could ride back there. But they didn't come with rear belts.

There was a guy used to be here that installed shoulder belts in his mustang convertible but now can't think of his handle here. That was like 13 yrs ago or more! He had the mounting point on the door post at the bottom of the window and then had after market seats so he had the loop things to run the belt in to keep them up on the shoulder.

Here's pics of the type of belt hooks the seatbelts have.
I got these off the net and i was like that one looks like mine with the carpet. Just now went and looked and it was! LOL I run the belt I took out of a van to run through the original style cause i needed longer belts, i'm more muscular than '60s people. :) I added the outer one also, a close up but a bit fuzzy. The chain is my dog leash as i used to take my dogs everywhere and that's how i tied them in the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Don't get the stock length. Not many people can fit in those any more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts